Page 1 of 4
Dually Projects \  2012 F350 Tow Rig/Daily Driver

2012 F350 Tow Rig/Daily Driver

Dually Projects
views 10522
replies 33
following 9

mitchedwards   +1y
Hey guys new here and new to air ride. I currently have a 2012 f350 dually with the firestone air helper kit and am sick and tired of the rough ride. I want to build a complete air ride suspension simialar to what airbagit uses.

I want to use there denominator 2600 bags for the front (7inch diameter) and there 3800 bags in the rear. The front is a simple setup and i will build a ping tank into the mount for the front.

For the rear i was thinking of just doing a simple trailing arm setup with track bar and bags over the axle as i am limited to room behind the axle due to exhaust and existing holes in the frame.

I want to make this a complete bolt in setup without having to drill any extra holes into the frame. I have been playing around with some ideas using pro engineer design software but dont want to get too carried away without some of your advice.

The main trailer i pull is a 24 foot kiefer built fifthwheel which is a 2 horse trailer with living quarters. Its max weight is 12 000 pounds but i want to build this strong enough to pull 20 000 as this is what the truck is rated for.

For the rear trailing arms i was thinking of just using 3x3 mild steel box tubing with a 1/4 inch wall. Will this be strong enough?

I do know about the pinion change with suspension cycle but it will be driving at the same height all the time and only lower for loading or parking.

Thanks so much!

Any and all input is appreciated!

Mitch
mitchedwards   +1y
Well guys i ordered my 3800 bags and denominator 2600 bags, should be here friday!! i was really hoping for some input from you guys.

im going to pick up a bit os steel today including the 3x3 for my trailing arms.

If i put the trailing arms below the axle i can mount the bags closer to the tire for more side to side stability.
any input on trailing arms above or below the axle?
krewzlo   +1y
Do a four link, 2 links are meant for drag racing and straight lines. I know many swear by them, but when you have a $50,000 truck dont chimp out on the suspension. A 2 link offers no body roll which will happen anyways and just put stress on suspension and frame. You get way more pinion angle change, and many other draw backs. Air ride technology put out an article years ago on why not to do a 2 link on a street vehicle, i have it somewhere but no clue where to begin to look. I am not sure if anyone makes a kit for your truck or not but air ride technologies builds top motch stuff, but is pricey too.
mitchedwards   +1y
i plan on using stock leaf spring bushing with my 2 link. i dont need a lot of articulation as the most offroad this truck will see is some gravel roads.
will some 3x2 box tubing be strong enough? i am thinking of doing a trailing arm setup simialar to whats on the chevy 5500 with it under the axle and using ubolts to fasten it to the axle. i will try and get some pics up of my truck and trailer soon
iarodder   +1y
Id do like krewzlo suggested and avoid the 2 link, they dont ride very well and for any towing aplications id run the bags on top of the axle not the bars, or not behind the axle either. The best load ratings would be on top of the axle for pulling a trailer.
mitchedwards   +1y
according to firestones websites and calculations you get a better load rating with the bags behind the axle. i know this will put more stress on the trailing arm. once thae bags get here this weekend i will see where i have room due to exhaust and whatnot.

why do you guys say that the 2 link doesnt ride as well as a 4 link? like i said before i dont need a whole lot of articulation.
krewzlo   +1y
You do need articulation when going around corners and going into driveways. You will get no articulation at all and will stress everything with a two link. A parallel 4 link with panhard bar would be your best bet to avoid moving gas tank. I realize big trucks run 2 link setups but the whole frame and suspension are designed for them, these trucks are not. There is a motto, do it right or do it again... Not trying to be am ass, just hate to see you spend time on money just to have to redo it when something breaks.
bigbeardedbastard   +1y
i have to agree with these fellas..... i currently have a 2-link setup just like what you are wanting with the bags mounted on the arms.....it drives like crap, its harder to find the sweet spot for air pressure and ride quality and yes driveways of any angle arent fun to traverse.....parallel four link with watts link is on its way for mine. crew cab duallys can ride like a cadillac and still tow if setup right
iarodder   +1y
Agreed with the 4 link and watts link, I am doing a wishbone set up to avoid the watts link, but I'm putting a watts link on my 49 chevy fleetline when I can finally bag it also. My buddy has a 2 bar setup on his '62 suburban with bags and it sucks ass. we will be re-doing his set up this year.
guilty by design   +1y
Ill add to the 4 link fan club. 2 links are the way to go if your static dropped, that's the only reason you see them on stock vehicles. Also if you mount the bag offset from the axle your putting a lot of stress on the link bars. Instead of the bags just pushing down on the axle to lift the truck the bag will be trying to torque the rearend (pulling the upper bars, compressing the lowers) and it just puts un needed stress on bar ends, crossmembers, mounting tabs, etc. If theres no way to mount the bags over axle or on the bars id be building a 5 link to accomplish the task.