Page 1 of 4
Dually Projects \  LANDSCAPER

LANDSCAPER

Dually Projects
views 9348
replies 35
following 13

katkatcher#1   +1y
I gotta 85 C30 crew cab dually 454 and 4speed. plans for now are to lay frame on 24s. Little background on the truck. My dad picked up the truck in 1998, He owns a small landscaping bussiness and the truck has been used up untill last year then parked. I had planned on getting it and bagging, sfbd and 24s in a couple years. 4 months ago I blew the rear end in my personal truck and with just buying my first house last year didnt have the extra cash to fix it, so I parked it and swaped insurance to the dually. I drove it several weeks and found out the front end needed work and i hated driving a stock looking truck. so i started doing a little work... I have to say this will be my first lowered truck but not project I built my 2000 K2500 ccsb lifted on 41s and allmost finished a complete rebuild of a chenworth rail buggy now for pics
my K2500
thread post photo

still on 39s in this pic truck was stock when I bought it, front and rear bumpers are home made, and all mods where done by me and couple buddies

my rail
thread post photo

thread post photo

complete tear down and rebuild/powdercoat. pics where taken at Scr8pfest before I finished it
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

the day I picked it up. had been sitting for around 6 months un touched. put a new battery in it and it fired up.

I fixed the headlight, turn signal and drove it for a couple months. it would sometimes start a death wobble while driving so i planned on tearing the front end down and installing new tierods, balljoints and brakes, of coarse if i was tearing all that down I might as well cut a couple coils out and just lower it 2in front and back. after installing the drop shackles I started the front. after getting the front tore down a buddy went ahead and cut 2 rounds out of the coils, while pulling the arms I find that arms,the upper driver side and lower on the passinger side is wore out. so I throw it back together to look for new arms in the junk yard. to finish the day we pull the running boards
thread post photo
Post was last edited on Dec 04, 2012 04:12. This post has been edited 2 times.
katkatcher#1   +1y
after thinking it over I decide to just go ahead and bag it, MMW uppers and lowers, probably do the SRW swap with extended arms for semis, and swap out the rear for a 14 bolt SRW ff to keep from streaching the fenders, So my plans are to sell my other truck and pay for the arms and wheels, ive picked up 20ft of 2x2x.25 tubing, bushings and axle tabs and the SRW 14 bolt ff. ive also gotten the bed off and most of the rear frame cleaned up and the 14 bolt cleaned.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
katkatcher#1   +1y
got the old axle pulled and he SRW rolled in and just tacked to the frame, gotta lay out my 4link and deside on bags before I go any futher.
thread post photo

thread post photo

pictures where before we had the axle tacked in place so its not exactly straight but with the wheels fliped outward could i have picked up a C&C axle? it measures 65' wms to wms. it came out of a 1998 chevy suburban 2500. from what Ive read the SRW should be around 67.5 and the C&C is 63.5 or is the burban axle just inbetween?
big bear   +1y
hell yea, sweet project
katkatcher#1   +1y
bought my rear bags. they are conitech Z14 triple stacks bought them off of Clunker on the board. things are huge. 12in wide with a 18in stroke. gonna be mounted behind the axle.
thread post photo

got alittle more done on it this weekend. going with the triangulated 4 link got the link bars made the lowers 26in and the uppers 29in long.
thread post photo

thread post photo

also got the holes drilled out on the tabs. bridge cut and tacked on the axle for the 4link set up.
thread post photo

thread post photo

and im outta gas on the welder. caping the ends of the bridge and finish welding it up this week
clunker   +1y
Glad you got them ok, hope they work out for you! Where did you get those tabs and bushings from trying to find a good place to buy those from? Btw lookin good!
katkatcher#1   +1y
thanks man. the bushings and tabs came from barnes4wd.com there a smaller 4x4 shop in North Carolina. they where cheaper on both than most of the mini trucking onling stores. oredered before lunch and they had them shipped the same day. I bought the 3in bushings
and here are the link/axle tabs they offer
rudyonwheels   +1y
Making nice progress, looking good. Love those trucks. There was a nice 76 (pretty sure it was a 76) CC Srw 4x4 for sale by my house for 4k. If I could walk I'd have scooped it up in a second! Rarely see 4x4 cc's of that vintage, here in Michigan anyways....
katkatcher#1   +1y
thanks man. Hopeully I can find me another 4x4 crew later on. I got some more done on the dually the past couple weeks. I layed out the notch using carboard then traced it out on some 1/4" sheets I had picked up and cut them with a torch, tacked them together and ground them all the same.
thread post photo

finished up my bridge and link tabs on the axle
thread post photo

Front link tabs are weled but need to be plated and beefed up after the frame is boxed in. and lower brackets where made by cutting facory spring hangers and welding them to 1/4 in plate to tuck them closer t the frame and away from the semi's.
thread post photo
katkatcher#1   +1y
got the notch weled in and the strips made to plate the top and bottom of the notch. also welded a piece of 2"x1/4'' wall tubing in the top corners of the notch before finishing the plating
thread post photo

pics of the link bars and finishing up the welding on the inner plates of the notch.
thread post photo

still have to figure out if im running the triple stacks or buying RE-8s and make bag mounts and shock mounts. hopefully get it in the shop and pull the front tires off to lay it out and figure all that out. the front is just 2.5 coils cut and the air out of the tires for now. front of the frame is still around 2" off the ground and the rear tires measure 29'' and i have them sitting on 2.5'' boards to measure up to what would be the truck on 34'' tires and it still lays hard on the gas tanks and into the notch
thread post photo

thread post photo