threads
Page 1 of 22
Dually Projects \  1977 Chop Top Crew Cab Dually!

1977 Chop Top Crew Cab Dually!

Dually Projects
views 47587
replies 211
following 45

lophat   +1y
Ok got it to the shop and crawled under it, (nice how you can do that without putting it on jackstands!) wow you guys wern't kidding about the tall-ass frame!

I got the box off and took some measurements so now i'm off to buy some mufflers and make my notches. Front shocks look like they wont be too hard, that's a plus.

I'll start posting pics Monday night.
low95xlt   +1y
is this that one that you posted a while ago white nexct to a garage
b dime   +1y
we are going to need somepics
lophat   +1y
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Yep that's the one, I had problems getting it to the shop. My buddy has a Caddy lowrider in there with a $10,000 paint job on it. I refused to do any grinding and welding with that thing in the shop.

The weather finally cleared up and lots of rain washed all the salt and snow off the road, so he was able to drive it home, and I was able to bring the dually down to the shop.

Now I can get down to business. The panhard bar showed up from SD and that was the last pc I was waiting on so now it's full steam ahead.

Pics Monday night...for sure. Probably won't be anything exciting, I'm just going to be getting the box off, cleaning up the frame with a scraper and brake cleaner, getting the wheels off , measuring the wheelbase and finding axle center out back. If I have time i'll hit some stuff with a flap disc and throw the 22" wheels on.

Stay tuned...like I said this is going to be a 5hr a day maximum job, as I still have other stuff to do during the day, but i'm going to try and make up for it on weekends and spare time, like while waiting for primer to dry and such.

We'll see how long it takes, but the owner isn't in a hurry, as long as he's driving it this summer he'll be happy.I'm thinking the suspension and notch and exhaust should be done by mid Feb, then we have to start on paint.

Later!
Post was last edited on Jun 13, 2010 03:06. This post has been edited 1 times.
kicker1_solo   +1y
Woo hoo, can't wait
low95xlt   +1y
nice time frame any ideas on paint or a rendering?
ybnrmaldually   +1y
that truck is going to look nice on air
lophat   +1y

Yes if I can get off my ass and finish it. I keep trying to finish it and something always pops up.

The top is going to be baby blue and along the body line is going to be a thin Kawasaki green graphic, maybe with some kind of dark candy green airbrushing in it. It will start thin up front and kinda turn into a tribal kinda square tribal effect out back around the rear cab doors and bed, and around the rear of the truck. Then shoot the bottom white.

I was pondering going Dark candy blue on top, splitting it with a baby blue graphic at the bodyline. Then shooting the bottom white.

The second was my first choice, but with the interior having the baby blue and white all through it, plus the body isn't (nor will it ever be) "perfect". So if I paint it a dark blue all the waves we don't get to will show up. The truck is pretty straight, but it would take ALOT of time and money to get it perfect, so I think keeping the color pallet light will be the best all round idea.

I don't like to be restrained by color selection, but in this case I have to deal with what i got, and make it work. I still think it will look bad ass, I will get that picture done soon, so I can show you guys what I am talking about.

Then we'll get to the interior. I think it will look crazy when we're done.
lophat   +1y
Ok so not much to report. But here are some pics anyway. I did alot of measuring Monday, and some buying of odds and ends.

Hit everything that wouldn't budge today with a shot of liquid wrench and i'll be back at it tomorrow.

I'm a little further along than the pics show, but I forgot the camera at the shop and this is all I had at home in my computer already.

Some SD 4 link shots, and the box is actually off now and i'm scraping away at the frame, not real fun pics. so here's the start of it all.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Got a little bit of widening to do...
thread post photo

More tomorrow...hopefully I don't forget the damn camera again...think i'll write a note to self...
Post was last edited on Jun 13, 2010 04:06. This post has been edited 1 times.
ec_dually   +1y
sweet... cant wait to see it on the ground tucking those big rollers...