Page 1 of 1
Dually Audio/Interior \  Anyone ever swapped gauges from a 88' to 95+

Anyone ever swapped gauges from a 88' to 95+

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 1105
replies 5
following 4

melloyello   +1y
I just finished up my dash swap in my 88 to one out of a 97'. Ive been having serious problems tracking down a diagram much less finding someone who has done it before.

From what Ive figured out from taking the cluster apart:
Plug- Very different
Assembly of cluster- Very different.

From what Im thinking, is the tach and speedo in the 97' are controlled via the ECM(i think), If I can figure out the wires and colors and what they go to, i'll be able to retro fit the newer plug to the old harness.

My real question is, does anyone have any information on doing this? Or at least a diagram for the two? Ive spent a few hours searching for diags but cant really find any reliable ones. I have one for the 88 from Autozone's website but can't find any for the 97'.

Any help is appreciated!

/Brad
melloyello   +1y
I just managed to find a schematic for the cluster, gonna work on it tommorow. I'll post updates as I go along.
luv2xclr8   +1y
Got any Pic's, sounds like a cool mod!
brianbgboy   +1y
done it twice! 1time in my 91 reg. cab truck, and again in a friends 92 dually. after the first time, i was thinking it would have been better to just slit my wrists than do it again!!!! but the second time was fairly easy. good luck with it, and yes the tach is ecm controlled. later, brian
melloyello   +1y
Well, got it in and have power. But, speedo doesn't work, tach doesn't work, and fuel gauge doesn't work.
someotherguy   +1y
In your '88 (through '91) the speedometer is driven by the speed sensor buffer, which is built into the cluster on your truck. In '92 through '95 it is a separate module under the glovebox. '96-up...from the PCM.

Might need to wire in a speed sensor buffer from a '92-'95. Good luck! that's all I've got for ya.

Richard
Page 1 of 1