Page 1 of 1
Dually Audio/Interior \  Squarebody wiper troubles

Squarebody wiper troubles

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 935
replies 2
following 3

1smoothdawg   +1y
OK guys maybe someone here can help me with an annoying problem.
My 89 squarebody wipers only work 1 speed. And if you turn the stalk to the off position, they continue to wipe unless you rotate the stalk clockwise beyond the off position. You also need to rotate the stalk back when the wipers (out on the windshield) are in there normal off position or they will stop where ever they are positioned. This truck has done this ever since I got it back in the summer and, I have finally decided to get off my duff and try and do something about it. Is my problem in the stalk itself? Has anyone else experienced this and maybe can give me a little insight?
dropd80s   +1y
As far as you having to rotate the stalk past off for them to actually turn off I would guess thats a problem w/ the stalk it self. I would replace it first and see what problems you still have. I know that there is a seperate wire in the wiper motor harness, usually its pink, most diagrams call it "return" I think. It provides power after you turn the switch on the stalk to off to allow the wipers to "return" to the bottom of the windshield. But like I said, try replacing the stalk first and see what you get.
someotherguy   +1y
I wouldn't replace the stalk, it isn't the actual wiper switch - it moves a switch that is buried inside the column.

Most likely, the problem is in the motor itself. I know they're not really like the shitbox body wipers, but the switch in the column is the same, and I hardly ever see those go bad. Usually when the switch goes bad the stalk just spins with no resistance and the wipers won't work at all.

Now getting out of squarebodies for a second here and looking at "regular" year model 88-98 trucks; in the 91-up shitbox there's a circuit board that is easy to get to that causes a bunch of problems; on the 88-90 the design is different but it's got a circuit board in there too - the most common problem is cracked solder joints on the circuit board. Crazy easy to fix and costs nothing.

It's been a while since I've seen a squarebody wiper motor, can you snap a pic up close and post it?

Richard
Page 1 of 1