Page 1 of 2
Dually Audio/Interior \  Attn: Audio Gurus

Attn: Audio Gurus

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 1568
replies 14
following 6

jcampbell1180   +1y
Can anybody give me a wiring diagram for your basic stereo system?

My guess is that you power the head unit and then the head unit speaker leads go to the amp, then the amp goes to the speakers. Correct?

Do the amps have a separate power supply? I'm thinking so.

Obviously, I have no idea about this stuff.
project84 (rahn)   +1y
I can help you with this one.

Most every head unit for the last umpteen years have the same wiring harness colors.

RED: 12V Switched ignition source

YELLOW: 12V continuous (always has battery power on it to save your clock and presets)

BLACK: A good ground

BLUE: Sometimes referred to as the power antenna wire or the remote trigger wire.

If you are not using the speaker outputs on the head unit, tape the ends of those wires so they cannot come in contact with anything metal. This will short the outputs on the head unit. Should you ever decide to re-use this unit with its on board power you don't want to short these.

The most common way to hook up an amp is to run a pair of RCA's from the back of the HU (head unit) to the amp (red to red and white to white). Next you will have to extend the BLUE wire I talked about previously all the way back to the amp.

To power the amp you MUST run a sufficient gauge wire to the positive side of the battery, terminating it at the battery with a fuse equal to the size of the one in the amp. You can ground the amp on a seat bolt most times with good results. THEN you run your speaker wires from the amp to the speakers.

Clear as mud?

Just think of it as a waterfall kind of, with the head unit being the top of the hill.

Here's a link to a decent diagram:

PM me if you have any further questions!
jcampbell1180   +1y
No man, that's perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.
jcampbell1180   +1y
What's the matter Ray? You bummed 'cause BF beat you to the punch?

You wanted to be the hero of the day and gain some notoriety by helping the Campy, huh Buddy.

Okay...here's your chance.

Suppose I wanted to add a little bump to the 'Burb with the following criteria:

1. I'm a Pioneer man and I like to keep it "all in the family" so-to-speak.

2. I like clean installs, which mean I like my stuff to fit in the factory positions. I don't mind moddin' stuff as long as it's not out of hand. Someting like this is as wild as I'd get-

3. Mrs. Campy gets pissed if there's a lot of stuff that takes up valuble grocery room in the back. I'm thinking one 10" sub would be sufficent, but it has to be a low pro install. Removability is a huge plus.

Impress me.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Would this amp...

Be a good choice for this sub?
maz89   +1y
keep the fuse on the power wire to the amp no more than a foot from the battery
project84 (rahn)   +1y

^^ Good point too^^
bowtiecowboy   +1y
I still can't believe campy got a straightforward answer to his question that quickly...we must be slipping.
liljlowrider   +1y
its cause a newbie answered it before any of us could respond to it..