Page 1 of 2
Dually Audio/Interior \  Sub Box Build 1990 Silverado

Sub Box Build 1990 Silverado

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 3736
replies 14
following 12

aramp1   +1y
Okay, so a while back, the el-cheapo pioneer 8 inch sub and 40 watt amp that were in my truck when I bought it several years ago were stolen. So, I've decided to build the system that I always wanted in my truck. It's nothing over the top, just a single sub and two amps, one for the 4 speakers and 1 for the sub.

Here's my truck. It's a 1990 Chevrolet Silverado.

thread post photo

As anyone with a pickup truck knows, there isn't as much room behind the seat. With only a couple inches to play with, I was going to have to go with a shallow mount sub. I chose a Kicker 12" CVT shallow mount.

thread post photo

I ran painters tape all across the back wall and started laying fiberglass. This is messy as hell.

thread post photo

After getting a good few layers of a back and a floor of the speaker box, I cut out the internal walls of the speaker box and mounted the speaker ring. You can start to see how the speaker box will be split up. I'll have the subwoofer in the middle, the amps on one side and a small storage/glove box on the other to hold miscellaneous items such as jumper cables, tools, etc.

thread post photo

Stretching an old t-shirt over the sub ring for the first layer of resin. I did this for each of the three areas (sub, amp, and storage sides)

thread post photo

Here's the finished product after several layers of fiberglass and some body filler.

thread post photo

You can see how the amps will be mounted from behind in this picture.

thread post photo

After hours of sanding and more body filler and sanding and more body filler, and sanding some more, it was ready for paint.

thread post photo

Well, I decided not to paint it and drop it off at the local LineX dealer. $60 to coat the whole thing and it will be much more durable than any paint I could use. Here's the end result.

thread post photo

Here's what it looks like with the sub, amps, and storage door on it. This is just the test fitting. Everything needs to be wired and I need to find some hinges and a lock for the storage compartment door.

thread post photo

thread post photo

This was my first fiberglass effort. I think it turned out great, so I'll be doing a lot more. I can't wait to get it all wired up and hear it thump, but it's cold as hell outside, so I'll be holding off for a while.
okcderek   +1y
That is sick!!! Much props for that one.(especially if its your 1st fiberglass one)
blackout   +1y
good job , dig the diamond plate and line x
98crewcab   +1y
nice job, i enjoy the pictures, box looks awsome !!!!
A+ for you
liljlowrider   +1y
great job man.. love the box.. especially for your first one. love th diamond plate storage box. very good way to use all the room you had.
jcampbell1180   +1y
DUDE!!! That's slick!
huskerdually   +1y
That is nice.
low1ton   +1y
Turned out awesome, especially for your first attempt. You should make several of them and sell the box for all of us untalented people who want a box behind our seat!
raymondsage   +1y
I do it for a living and from a pro i gotta say that is a great looking box. You got some serious talent.
aramp1   +1y

HA! I thought about it for a half of a second. I'd never be able to sell them for enough to make back my time. My respect for people who do it for a living increased exponentially the further I got into this project.