threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Audio/Interior \  In Cab Sub Square Body Crew?

In Cab Sub Square Body Crew?

Dually Audio/Interior Dually Tech
views 1753
replies 9
following 5

etcetera   +1y
I just recently started to look carefully at where to put a sub in my 89 crew, and you know what, there isn't much room in these things? What have others done?

This sub from parts express --> would probably work good. I modeled it and it should do well with .3 cubic feet. There is enough room to line these up side by side behind the rear seat all the way across if you want. Problem I have with a forward firing sub is the rear of my rear seat is solid vinyl, so I guess I would have to have a porous material sewn in instead so it doesn't flap.

Under the seat would work to, but I'd rather put the amps under the seat.

I'm not looking to rattle my fillings, just have a good bottom end.
huskerdually   +1y
Can't help cutting out the back of my cab. Maybe put subs under rear seat and amps under front.
rnonelower   +1y
I have a 99 cc and I do alot of custom work on the side I have made a enclosure that can set behind the seat and hold 3 12" subs I have made one for one truck all wood with carpet and I am making one that is wood and fiberglass now for my truck I would bee happy to make you one if u are interested I have some pics if interested let me know I can post some pics of my work and the boxes
etcetera   +1y
Now I know why I used to see these trucks with a box in the bed back in the early 90's. There are some good smaller subs also. There are a couple good 6x9 subs that I might try out. They would work facing up or sideways.

I was also thinking of possibly building a box for an 8" in the bottom of the doors.
etcetera   +1y

Thanks for the offer. I want to do it myself though. This truck has alot less room behind the seats than the new CC's do. I can't even fit my old 6" bazooka back there. From the back of the cab to the back of the seat is less than 7" at the bottom.

I just checked with the local upholstery shop I've used and they would only charge $40 to swap out the rear panel on that seat. I think I'll take it in and have them do it.

3/4 MDF x 2 + an inch of clearance to the seat back gives an internal box dimension of about 4". I'll route out a ledge from the inside to give a bit more breathing room, then 1/4 round the front of the hole. Those subs are only 3 and 3/16" deep. Should be enough breathing room although not ideal. If I wanted I think I might be able to squeeze 6 in, but I haven't measured the width. I think I'll stick with a box for 2 in the center. That'll give a little bit of storage on either side.

I think I'll go buy some materials and make some more careful measurements and see what I can come up with.
lizard lips   +1y
Definitely post pics after all is done. I would like to do the same but not cut in the back wall of the cab. Let us know how those subs are too when you find out.
etcetera   +1y
I just ordered 2 of them. Could be here friday with a little luck.

I'll post some pics with dimensions. I made some measurements and 2 10's could fit in a box only 22" long on the outside. That leaves a fair amount of room for a jack or an amp or whatever.

Unless I get a call for work I'll have the box built tomorrow.
pig rig   +1y
pioneer makes a low profile sub like that also I'm thinking 2 12's back there once I get tired of my tapedeck and 6x9's
and post lots or build pictures
etcetera   +1y
I settled on a box 15 inches high, 16 inches wide and 7 inches deep on the bottom, and 4 inches deep on top. All those dimensions are outside. That gives a gross internal volume of .45 cubic feet, which is right in the neighborhood of ideal when you subtract the volume of the driver.

I'm building a box for a single driver. If I'm happy with the output I'll use the other driver for something else.

I'm building the box right now, pictures to come later today.
etcetera   +1y
Got it together, made a mistake though. I glued the back on, but remembered in time to take it off to put the driver in. Not as pretty as a bare box, but I'm going to carpet it anyways.

4" on top is really too thick. It just touches the back of the seat. OK if you mount the driver from the inside, but wouldn't work from the outside. If one driver isn't enough I'll make a new box for 2 and adjust the dimensions.

3" on top, 15" high, 7.25" on bottom and 32.5" wide for 2 drivers. Lots of room for adjustment on the width. Really wouldn't want to go too much shorter at all, but you could go longer for a larger internal volume giving more bottom end extension at the expense of power handling. If you run your subs in stereo a divider is recomended. If you run them mono one big enclosure is the same as the same volume with a divider.
Page 1 of 1