threads
Page 2 of 2
Dually Exterior \  Body Dropping to the DOORS help.

Body Dropping to the DOORS help.

Dually Exterior Dually Tech
views 3839
replies 16
following 4

big bear   +1y
i agree in a way with what your saying man as in being over his head and ect. you really gotta do your homework man. . suspension work and wanting to door your truck is a big task. im not knocking you short1 or suggesting you dont do it, but get the facts straight and do research. i understand thats y why your here and asking questions. nothing wrong with that. , but at the same time, not everybody wants to run 22s or 24s on there truck. alot of us may be partial to running semis but by no means does it mean , just because you can fit them , you have to run them.
short1   +1y
I would be the first one to say that im in over my head. And thats why im here. As for being safe, Well thats what its all about. Ive been working on this truck for almost two years knowing that my kids will ride in it too. so u can bet its built the safest way possible. Eventually i will run some 19's but not 22's. Semi's are cool but its not what im wanting. My frame does lay out level with the control arms. I didnt z the frame. Thanks for the insight big bear. Oh and you too bk2life.
bk2life   +1y
a doored truck is no fun in real life. cool at shows, but keep your rockers. the difference is night and day. the rockers really stiffen up a vehicle.
big bear   +1y
no prob man...glad you ask so many questions. its a learning process for us all . i learn new things daily haha i ask lots of questions . so, your one of the lucky ones. your frame and arms touch together when layed out and you avoided the z. that happens sometimes. as for what bk2life says....i do hear that alot from people that have doored trucks. surely badass to say its doored, and looks killer at a show, but when its up in the air it looks goofy as hell and it does lose some durability. but, on the flipside i suppose to that is, you can cap off the bottom and support the crao out of it. so where theres a will theres a way. either way, good luck man. glad you doing it safely. you by chance have any pics of your truck layed out ? id love to see them.
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
hypothetically speaking....lol

if your frame already lays flat when its on the ground and you want to stockfloor/door it..go out and measure how many inches it will take to lay the door on the ground..(with the truck layed out) guestimate ?? 5 inches ??? (this is an example, i am not sure how many inches it would take..lol)
cut the rocker off and cap the bottom..

you will have to weld some steel tube inside the bottom rails of the frame.. .
your frame is 8 inches tall.. so you would use some 2x3 .25inch steel tube..
then you will cut the top 5 inches off the frame off.(all the frame that is directly under the cab of the truck)
you will have to move all the body mounts down 5 inches. including the front frame horns
cut the trans tunnel out and raise it up 5 inches...

you will have to body drop the bed. the bed floor will have to be cut loose and moved up 5 inches .

or .....you can keep the stock frame . cut the rockers off to the door . cut the body mounts loose. then cut your slots in the floorboard to do the traditional body drop ..move the body mounts down and weld them back to the frame.. cap the floorboards with metal to cover the frame rails...

either way you do it. the bed will need to be body dropped, and you will have to fab up the steering shaft and shifting linkage again..

its alot easier said than done to do a body drop on these big trucks. and to beat all, some trucks don't need to be z'ed to lay. and then you have trucks that will not lay without a Z...lol (i got the one that didn't lay.. )
short1   +1y
Damn i finally able to get back on here. Thanks everyone for all the input on this thread. I may have miss posted on this one. My frame lays out under the cab but not all the way under the bed. Im about 3 3/4 in. from the ground to the top of the pinchwelds. Thats from the front fender and right in front of the rear wheel pinch weld. I cant get pics uploaded for some reason. Im really starting to second guess about goin to the doors. im leaning to just cut off the pinch welds and just go to the bottom of the cab. I will try to get some pics posted. Thanks again everyone.
big bear   +1y
give her a nice stock floor bodydrop.