Page 1 of 2
Mazda Projects \  Engine swap ideas

Engine swap ideas

Mazda Projects
views 1861
replies 15
following 2

ninjarider   +1y
Has anyone seen or heard of someone who did a Buick 3.8 swap into a B, or a twin cam Olds Quad 4? They are plentiful at the JY's PAP's I have near me and was curious about doing one instead of a 4.3 v6 or v8. The unknown for me is transmission options and accessories/intake options and issues. I've seen information where years ago GM Performance was selling a lot of performance parts for the Quad 4 and that people have gotten substantial power from them. I've also read that some of the SC versions of the 3.8 were pretty powerful to be in FWD vehicles and I know the 3.8 can make power since the Regal's in the 80's were turbo'd. I know the transmission issue is less with the 3.8, but I really want to keep my B as a manual trans vehicle.
Ricko1966   +1y
the buick 3.8 and the buick 3800 and 3800 stage1, 2,and 3 are not the same engines.I say this because you have references to regals 3.8 and fwd 3800. You can still stay manual with the buick engine easiest way would be use the transmission and clutch components from a 3800 camaro if useing a 3800 motor the 3.8 uses GM RWD bolt pattern so a 231 camaro,shyhawk etc. would give you what you need. .Or you can make an adapter plate and fabricate a flywheel. I did this years ago to adapt a 3.8 buick to a 911 porsche. Not as difficult as it sounds but you will need access to a good mill and a big lathe. I've actually played with the idea of 3800 into a b I have a b that needs the motor changed and 3 3800's here, what part of the country are you in?
ninjarider   +1y
Good to know Ricko. You are correct about the 3.8 and 3800 series 1,2, and 3 not being the same. Sorry if this may have caused others confusion. I was specifically thinking about the 3800 and used the simplified designation. I new a guy years ago who was playing around with putting a early model 3.8 in a porsche so kinda ironic you mention it. I think my biggest concern with a 3800 FWD motor is where the accessories are mounted on some model vehicles I have access to would cause potential problem with an intake manifold unless there is enough room in the B engine bay to move it forward and still use transverse mounted setup. Routing tubing isn't all that hard. Just thinking of the cheapest possible ways to do this.
I'm in the northeast metro Atlanta area.
ninjarider   +1y
That link has some interesting information. Is that picture a series 1 motor?
Ricko1966   +1y
Its freezing freeking cold here right now I will try to be brave and take a tape to a series 1 and 2 tomorrow as well as the empty bay on the b2200.I don't think modding the throttle body location would be any big deal. Using 3800 camaro intake,flywheel and transmission would make it all simple. As for adapter plates and flywheels. Adapter plate use a piece of 3/4 inch aluminum plate look at a mazda engine and your donor engine which ever one has the smallest diameter crank where it meets the flywheel start with that one eyeball where the crank would need to come through and still have space for the perimeter bolts and dowels. Say
that crank is 2.5 inches at the flange put a hole in the plate with a mill 2.5 inches so the plate fit snug on the flange put transfer
punches in all necesary holes the crank holds every thing straight and centered,now tap your plate with a hammer now you can
drill pilot holes in the correct locations. Other crank is 3 inches,so center your plate in the mill open the hole up to 3 inches transfer
punch everything off the other engine. Boom both patterns,and centered better than any of the cast mass produced junk I've
seen.If you are lucky you can redrill the mazda flywheel for the engine you are using. If not put the mazda flywheel in a lathe punch out the very center until all existing flywheel to crank holes are gone.Now cut the center out of the donor engine flywheel. leave the center a couple of thousandths bigger than the hole in the mazda flywheel,Heat the Mazda flywheel,freeze the new center put them together when the temps stabilize it will be solid enough to weld. If you cannot use the center of the donor machine a center out of tool steel. Anyway you do it leave a locating step on the new centere so it goes in square and to the right depth. You will have to figure how far the new center needs to go in to kepp your starter ring gear in the correct location,thus insuring your clutch is at the right depth.You will need to make pilot bushing or macine for a pilot bearing.
flywheel leav a locating step at the crankshft end. Heat the mazda flywheel.freeze the center piece set them in place when they are the same temp it will be secure enough to weld.If you cannot cut a center out of a donor you will have to machine one from tool steel. Be sure to offdset the two flywheels so thestarter ring gear location os correct,so your starter and clutch work correctly.
Post was last edited on Jan 13, 2018 05:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
Ricko1966   +1y
P.S. the 3800 is 60 degree v6 bell housing pattern so a 2.8 s10 or 2.8 camaro manual gearbox would also be an option.
ninjarider   +1y
2.8 camaro? I remember a friend of mine had a mid 80's 3rd gen Camaro with a v6, but I don't remember what size it was. All the 3rd gen f-bodies I've seen at the local JY's have been long since been violated of all the drivetrain and power sources. I have found a baby LT1 (aka, 4.3L V8 2nd gen sbc). I've been thinking about this as an option because it shouldn't require any firewall mods and it will bolt up to almost any desirable tranny.
Post was last edited on Jan 13, 2018 10:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
I think the 4.3 is the best bet. A little more power, better aftermarket support, and it's a 90° V6. Even thought it's odd firing, balance shafts make it a smooth running engine. I have a 3.8(229 cid) Chevy engine, that precedes the 4.3. My brother and I, put it in his Vega in the 80's. Good power for small and mid size cars. The 4.3 would have been my choice back then, but I don't even know if it would have been available to me.
Post was last edited on Jan 13, 2018 11:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
ninjarider   +1y
@SCL-The 4.3 v6 is a good choice because it has the standard gm bellhousing for mounting to many more tranny options, but the 4.3 I was referring to was a v8. Apparently gm made some of the mid 90's Caprice's with a 4.3L v8 like the 5.7L in the 4th gen Camaro/TA's, Corvette's, Impala SS, Buick Roadmaster, and Caddy Fleetwood. I just recently found out about these "baby LT1's" while researching some stuff. Stock specs say output is about 200hp and 250lbs/ft which isn't really a lot, but significantly more than the 2L Mazda does. Another upside to this choice is it will be capable of more power later down the road. I might even be able to put a 305 crank in it to make it a truly one-of-a-kind 5.0L gen II SBC.
It looks something like this.
post photo