Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  b2000 block b2200 head headgasket

b2000 block b2200 head headgasket

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1260
replies 8
following 1

Ricko1966   +1y
Wondered if anyone can give me the ins and outs of what head gasket to use on a b2000 block with a b2200 head I know the b2000 headgasket has an oil restrictor. Can I use a b2200 gasket and make a restrictor for it with copper shim stock?Do I need the restrictor?What size is the orifice in the restrictor? Kind of strange post but bought the head gasket months ago assuming the truck had the original engine was just going to do a head and head gasket,rings and rod bearings got the head off dropped the pan and low and behold it is a b2000 engine,don't remember where I got the gasket and already had the b2200 head honestly don't know whether to match the gasket to the head or to the block probably am going to stay solid on the cam followers if that is the decisive factor.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
If you have a b2000 block you will need to use the gasket with the restictor in it. If that means buying the correct gasket to make sure that everything is matched up correctly then that seems a small price to pay. The 2.2 block places the restrictor in the block itself.
sincitylocal   +1y
Keep in mind... the heads are the same between the 2.0 and the 2.2. The difference is the cams and rocker assemblies. If you make any modification to a head gasket, you're only looking for trouble down the line. Use the gasket that corresponds with the block.
Ricko1966   +1y
Thank you for the info. I now know what I needed to know to make my decision. It is 1hr round trip to the local parts store if they have it in stock I have a b2200 block I will see if the restrictor will swap, possibly machine my own restrictor{not as strange as it seems done it bunches of times in other applications usually no more complicated than a piece of brass or aluminum round stock with the proper size hole drilled in it}or make the phone call and hour drive but there will be a restrictor in place when all is said and done, Thank you
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
If you have a 2200 block then the restictor is already installed. If you have a 2000 block then it is missing, and carried in the head gasket. This seems pretty straightforward. You don't want to create a problem with oiling in this area. Gaskets are cheap on Ebay and some of them include free shipping which will save you a 1 hour trip to the auto parts store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-B2000-626-New-Head-Gasket-035-1739-/352122916062?fits=Model%3AB2000&epid=79420538&hash=item51fc294cde:m:mWhvKtaAqs4EqpVGH3rGgEg&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-626-turbo-B2000-FE-Cylinder-Head-Gasket-2MAHGFE-/170141670507?hash=item279d3bdc6b:m:mGkyGlSaHp0sG3sY7dT4HOw&vxp=mtr

Sometimes I wonder why the best advice is ignored on the way to a cobble up repair.
Ricko1966   +1y
I didn't ignore anything only said now I have the information I need to make my decision, After I look at everything I will make my decision. I have worked as a tech since 1981 worked in the machine shop,rebuilt engines and transmissions modified oiling systems for various reasons.Balanced and blueprinted motors,machined my own adapter plate and flywheel for the buick v6 into my porsche 911,have machined my own carb adapters for various applications,built stroker motors that I had to have pistons custom made for, worked at the GM dealership and the Volkswagen dealership,and am ASE certified,sorry I don't have a lot of mazda information memorized yet that was why I asked the question as to do I need the restrictor a guy on ebay selling heads said no, I wanted a second opinion. Haven't had time or inclination to go examine everything yet but when I do I will make a good repair. And FYI Aircooled VW type 1 had no provisions at all for an oil filter one common modification I would make was block the oil passage in the block [a restrictor with no hole] reroute the pump discharge through the pump cover use A,N, fittings and braided lines to an oil filter bracket back to the block where I would machine the main oil galley to accept an a,n, fitting for the freshly filtered oil to lubricate the engine. Is that cobbled up? or improvement before you decide you may want to read fords study on filtered engine oil done back in the early 60's. have a great day.
Post was last edited on Aug 13, 2017 05:08. This post has been edited 2 times.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Duse, I personally don't know why you would go to all of the trouble of manufacturing a part that is already available across a parts counter, unless what you want is bragging rights that you were the first person on the planet to come up with this novel solution. I have ASE credentials, the one most relevant here is Engine rebuilding. Do you think any service manager on the planet would authorize you to do to a customer's car what you want to do here? I can flat out guarantee that you would be fired for going down that road. Every kid that scribbles on a wall thinks it's art, too. You come into the forum and ask which gasket is correct, and then you show your rear by talking about all the things you have accomplished on a VW and a Porsche. Just buy the correct damn gasket and move on.
Ricko1966   +1y
No, mazda came up with the novel solution they decided they wanted a restrictor in the block not the headgasket. I worked at the same awesome shop from 02/1985-05/2001 and no if I put a restrictor in the block instead of the headgasket I would not get fired.I still haven't even said what I am going to do.I asked for some information,got it,thanked everyone and then you had to chip in on cobble up repairs.Just because something didn't come out of the factory a certain way doesn't mean it's wrong,Its just different.And the 2200 blocks came out of the factory that way.
Page 1 of 1