threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  New to the Forum ... and in need of help!

New to the Forum ... and in need of help!

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 505
replies 3
following 1

Zen Dude   +1y
Hello!! I'm hoping that someone here can help me.

I bought my 1984 Mazda B2000, SE-5 brand new off the showroom floor in 1983. I purchased it in Pennsylvania (where I grew up) and then drove it to Phoenix where I lived until 1991. Then I moved to Los Angeles where I currently live. My truck was my daily driver until 2008, and has been an amazingly close friend ; )

I don't daily it anymore but drive it every week. With almost 300,000 miles on it, it's super-reliable and in pretty darn good condition. But ... it just failed emissions due to a leaking Vapor Canister. I have a week to get it repaired, re-smogged and registered. Yikes!!!

My dilemma... where do I find another vapor canister!! Part #831713970 . I'm told it's not possible to repair mine, and I can't seem to locate another one anywhere. I can't complain that it only lasted 33 years, but... what do I do now?

Is there another canister that I can use as a replacement? I'm not a mechanic, but this thing looks pretty simplistic on the outside. ... 3 hoses and 1 screw to remove it.

I'm open to any suggestions and appreciate any feedback.

By any chance would someone mind loaning me theirs for a couple days? ; )

- mark
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Seems like you could use one from an '86-'93 if it comes off a carbureted B2000 or B2200. AFAIR the '86 I had only had three hoses on it. As an alternative, I think California allows for a one-time waiver if you flunk.
Zen Dude   +1y
Thanks mazdatweaker_2!!

I've been hunting for some compatible part and have been search through the other models, years and makes (like the Ford Courier) but haven't found anything that fits yet. I'll check out the '86 again.

... and I wasn't aware of the waiver and will definitely look into that!

- mark
Page 1 of 1