Page 2 of 3
Mazda 2.2L \  engine will not start

engine will not start

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2512
replies 21
following 1

Cusser   +1y
Oh - and my adapter seals to the cylinder head with a thick O-ring, so I don't need to wrench it.
tucknrimmaz   +1y
I have had the pick-up in the distributor go bad when cold. With enough cranking it would finally fire. Swapping out the whole dist. fixed it for me.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Your first post wasn't clear as to order of when the truck wouldn't start. Was it running and then shut off and then you put money into parts to try to get it to start, or did you have a running truck that now won't start after you did the tune up. From your post it is easy to think the former rather than the latter. If you did a tune up to a running engine and now it won't start maybe you got the firing order off on the wires. The distributor rotates clockwise with #1 at the front, then #3, then #4, then #2. I nearly was able to buy an old Datsun 510 wagon cheap because that is what the owner did and he was going to sell it because it wouldn't start.
Cusser   +1y
I've had the ignitor and pickup go bad in my '88 B2200 go bad and be intermittent, about a dozen years ago.
362 ranger pilot   +1y
The truck was running fine till a spark plug wire got onto the exhaust manifold. Went to missing pretty bad. I found the burnt plug wire so while I was replacing the plug wire I went ahead and replaced the plugs, distributor cap and rotor button. Drove the truck a couple more weeks then parked it for about a month when I went back to drive it again is when this problem accured. The truck would not start. I assume the coil could have possible went out due to the grounded plug wire I had recently replaced. So I replaced the coil to and nothing has changed.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
If the truck was running a month ago and sat and that is the only thing that happened maybe you didn't put enough gas into the carb and engine is dry. You might try again with either. Make sure the choke plate is closed.
362 ranger pilot   +1y
I've been working on the truck I've came to the conclusion it has possible jumped time.
With #1 piston tdc the distributor is pointed at the #1 plug
should the timing mark on the cover be pointing at the number 1 on the gear or the little circle on the gear?
I tried to upload a picture but it will not let me.
362 ranger pilot   +1y
Possible dropped a valve and busted the #1 piston also I tried to post a picture of that also but says it's forbidding
Post was last edited on Mar 19, 2017 02:03. This post has been edited 1 times.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
I see that you said "With #1 piston tdc the distributor is pointed at the #1 plug"

That is indicating that the engine is firing at TDC. It would run, but poorly. You need to take the distributor cap and rotor off, and then rotate the engine clockwise to 6 degrees BTDC on the lower cover on cylinder one and look inside the distributor to make sure the reluctor is lined up with the ignitor. That should get you in the ball park if you don't have a timing gun.
362 ranger pilot   +1y
Here's where the timing marks are with #1 tdc
post photo
post photo