Page 1 of 3
Mazda 2.2L \  Clutch issue

Clutch issue

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2139
replies 23
following 1

tbcaper   +1y
I have 93 b2200 which I replaced the clutch last summer. All was fine until recently when I was driving and it started making strange noises. I was almost home and when I tried to shift to a lower gear I was unable to get it in any gear at all, I was just getting grinding. I was able to cost to the end of my driveway. I turned it off and put it in reverse and then restarted and was able to use the clutch to get it in the driveway. I thought the slave cylinder might have been bad and I had a new one so I put it on. Now I am unable to bleed the clutch. I have tried 2 times so far and both times I get very little fluid or air to come out and when the clutch is pressed the slave is not pushing the clutch release fork. Could this be the master cylinder? I have always had manual trans cars but have never run into this type of problem.

Thanks for any help.
Terry
sincitylocal   +1y
The masters are known failure points. You symptoms are pointing in that direction. Takes only about 15 minutes to swap, and bleed with a buddy.
tbcaper   +1y
ok thanks. Was leaning towards that being the problem but I didn't see any leaking or anything around the master so was trying to figure out if it could be something else.
Cusser   +1y
You just put in a new slave cylinder. So install a new clutch master, and consider a new slave again at same time. Also check the two small flexible lines between the master and the salve; I've had to replace both once each in my '88 since I got it in 1994.

I've been through several clutch masters and slaves over those years.
tbcaper   +1y
ok, thanks for the help. Replaced the master and was able to get clutch bled. Truck was still making some weird sounds but couldn't really determine where they were coming from. Truck was driving ok, but it looks like the transmission is toast. Decided to go for a drive tonight. Was on the highway in 5th gear and all of a sudden lost drive. Shifted to 4th and was able to continue but had nothing in 5th from that point on. When I got of the highway to turn around 3rd, then 2nd went as well. Limped back home with 1st and 4th and by the time was home they were pretty much gone as well. Looks like the end of the b2200 for me.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
When you replaced the clutch did you make sure the alignment dowels between the engine and transmission went back into place before you bolted it back together? I know that like something really simple but overlooking that might be causing the engagement problem you are experiencing now. The transmission isn't meant to align with the engine with just the bolts. It will slide down and that will cause the input shaft on the transmission to bind. It will take out the clutch when it does.
tbcaper   +1y
the dowels were not removed. The transmission was fine for over 6 months. Now all the gears are no longer working. Is there any known issues with the manual transmission on these trucks? Just wondering what might have happened.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Have you checked the fluid to see if it burned? I've taken a couple of the transmissions apart and the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of a bad bearing. How many miles are on the unit as far as you know? It might be time to drop the transmission and open it up to see what is wrong with it. Or just swap another one in.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
What kind of oil are you running in the transmission. Is there a possibility that there isn't any oil in the unit, or at least not enough to sling around properly inside the box?
tbcaper   +1y
I made sure the transmission fluid was full when I replaced the clutch. I had changed the fluid not long before the clutch was replaced with the recommended fluid.