threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  Final drive change help!

Final drive change help!

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 422
replies 3
following 1

Hudson   +1y
Hi guys,

Im from the UK with a 95' B2200 diesel (R2 engine)

I have just changed from the stock 14" wheels and tyres to some 16" wheels with 185/50 tyres.

I use the truck daily with long motorway miles, the gearing is really short and on the motorway the revs are pretty high at 65mph.

Now ive changed to smaller wheels its even worse and my MPG is actually taking a big hit....

Is there anything I can easily do with the final drive of the diff to lower the revs substantially at motorway speeds. I honestly dont care about acceleration so if I could be doing 70mph at 1200rpm thatd be awesome (kidding of course).

What diff's can I fit? Or will i need to change the whole axle completely? Any suggestions welcome and i'll look into it, bearing in mind im in the UK so im limited as to what other donor trucks/cars I can get parts from.

Pleeease can someone help out as I love my truck but cant keep using it with MPG this bad...

Thanks in advance
sincitylocal   +1y
I have a rear from a Chevy S-10 in my B. It has a 3.23 gear in it. That puts rpm right around 2200 at 70. Of course, you'll need the drive shaft and parking brake cables modified for that. Spring perches might also need to be relocated on the axle tubes... I don't know for sure, as I removed mine for air spring suspension.
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Different tires. If it has the typical USDM 3rd member I'm used to, all you have to swap in is even worse. You could pickup a MX-5 Diff and get some 3.63 Ring and pinion set. Substantial change just isn't available for these vehicles.
Page 1 of 1