Page 2 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  Vacuum or idle problems.

Vacuum or idle problems.

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2204
replies 14
following 1

maley709   +1y
Thank you, I have an advance auto close I will try and order them there. Because of prior obligations I couldn't work on it yesterday, so I'm working on it now. I'm am trying to decide what is the front converter. I have the rear converter off. then there is a section of straight pipe going toward the manifold that connects with 2 bolts to a piece that appears to have maybe a flat metal heat shield?? attached with 4 bolts around the exhaust pipe that takes a 90 degree turn up into a piece that looks like a large can that continues up into the manifold. I can send photos later when I get back under it. I live in Virginia and it's 95 degrees with humidity to match, and I'm an old man and can't take it like I use to. Anyway do I have to take the whole assembly out all the way to the manifold? or is the converter at the 2 bolt connection? or is it the thing that looks like a large can of beans?? Oh and thank you for all your help so far you have been a life saver .
sincitylocal   +1y
This is what you're looking for. It doesn't need to be removed, but the pipe bolted to the bottom side of it does.
I know this sucks, but many of us have gone through it, and it can be done from underneath the truck. Just be sure to wear eye protection.
post photo
post photo
Post was last edited on Aug 01, 2016 06:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
maley709   +1y
I gottcha now. In my truck it is covered by what I guess is a heat shield covering the manifold and looks like it is part of it. but your photo is exactly what it looks like in my truck. I was getting ready to cut the heat shield out, because the bolts are about welded tight, the one I tried to loosen just wrung off the head. Then unbolt the exhaust from the manifold. What you are showing me, doing it from under the truck maybe a pain, but not nearly the pain it would be, doing it from above and trying to unbolt everything I would need to unbolt to get to it. Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. I will post how it worked when I get done.
maley709   +1y
I want to thank everyone that helped me out. Punching out the Catalytic converters did the trick. and it is not as loud as I thought it would be. It was smoking worse than it ever had though, and I was getting bubbling back into the coolant overflow reservoir. A friend said I might had blown the head gasket trying to limp it home overheating. I tried a bottle of Bars-leak H G repair and she is running like her old self again. Again thank you all for the information I needed . Maley 709