Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  Vacuum or idle problems.

Vacuum or idle problems.

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2202
replies 14
following 1

maley709   +1y
I have a 91 Mazda B2200, It has been blowing white smoke when it first starts that stops after a couple of minutes. when you give it gas it bogs down at about 2000rpm, feels like a vacuum problem, there are several hoses coming from the the air filter cover back to the engine,they are about the thickness of my thumb. when I give it gas to try to get it over 2000rpm enough pressure builds up to push the first hose from the left off the nipple, it makes a loud sucking or blowing air sound, but then the rpms will increase when I give it gas. I haven't tried to drive it with the hose off because I don't want to cause more damage. Can anyone help me with this?? I would sure appreciate it.
Post was last edited on Jul 29, 2016 12:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
Your burning oil has clogged your catalytic converters. Most people just beat out the core with a hammer and a short section of pipe.
Post was last edited on Jul 29, 2016 01:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
maley709   +1y
Is there anyway I can do this while still on the truck? or do I have to remove it
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
To test for excessive backpressure on your converter, you can remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold. It will be loud but it will tell you if a converter is clogged.
maley709   +1y
I have been trying to get my '91 B2200 pickup running so I can at least drive it. It only needs to get me til October, then I get another vehicle. It has always blown white smoke for the first few minutes after I start it then stops smoking. (I have had it for a year and a half). When I give it gas it bogs down like a vacuum problem, but don't see any vacuum lines disconnected. I can't get it past 2000rpms. (if you look at the attached photos) When I give it gas and try to get it past 2000rpm back pressure builds up and blows the hose that goes into the air cleaner cover off the nipple. that is the hose you see in my hand in the center photo.That hose goes into the metal pipe in the end photo on the right that goes back into the engine or manifold under the spark plugs. When the hose blows off the engine will rev up but make a loud sucking sound. It was suggested to punch out the Catalytic converters that they might be clogged. I did the one right before the muffler that didn't help I have heard there is another one, where is it? and is this really my problem? This is my only vehicle, and being on SS disability I can't afford to take it to a repair shop. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you all for your responses so far.
post photo
post photo
post photo
sincitylocal   +1y
The other one is bolted to the bottom of the exhaust manifold. To the untrained eye, it looks like part of the manifold. Just drop the exhaust pipe and do the same as the first. Once you open that one up, you won't have anymore back pressure issues.
Post was last edited on Jul 30, 2016 11:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
Cusser   +1y
Pre-converter gasket (top of front converter) - FEL-PRO Part number is 60534
(Correct number, Special order Autozone $2.99 or O’Reilly)
Pre-converter Bottom gasket (3-hole) Fel-Pro 60286 (stocked at Autozone $3.49)
maley709   +1y
are the gaskets that important? the first converter I took off didn't seem to have a gasket or it had disintegrated with time. still working on getting the 2nd one off.
Cusser   +1y
I think gaskets are important. My system wasn't rusted - but I live in Arizona. 2-Hole gaskets for the exhaust pipes, second converter, muffler, etc. (need three or four) – Fel-Pro 60620 (Autozone, about $3)