Mazda 2.2L \  Is my clutch done?

Is my clutch done?

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2465
replies 16
following 2

tbcaper   +1y
Hello,

I have a 93 b2200 5 speed with 298000km. Last night was out with the truck and while driving some smoke came out of the vents and the truck was not accelerating. Stopped and shut off to check and there was some smoke under the hood but not too much. After sitting for a bit restarted and there wasn't anymore smoke but when attempted to drive the truck will not move in any gear. I am able to shift gears without any grinding or anything and the clutch pedal does not sit on the floor. recently the truck would have a hard time accelerating in a couple of gears when giving it gas. It appeared that the clutch was slipping. I am assuming now that the clutch has finally given up. Does this appear to be correct? I would appreciate any help and any suggestions on what to check.

Thanks,
Terry
sincitylocal   +1y
Probably a safe bet. You're going to have to pull the trans to confirm, so you might as well have new parts on hand when you do.
Cusser   +1y
"recently the truck would have a hard time accelerating in a couple of gears when giving it gas. It appeared that the clutch was slipping. I am assuming now that the clutch has finally given up. Does this appear to be correct? I would appreciate any help and any suggestions on what to check. "

Don't just replace the disc: new disc, new pressure plate, new throwout bearing, new needle bearing, and get the flywheel resurfaced.
tbcaper   +1y
Thanks for the info. I was unable to order the clutch today found a LUK clutch kit at the local parts store and can order it Monday and supposed to be in Tuesday. Is it possible to get a replacement boot for the shifter? I took the shifter out and found the the rubber boot that is under the flexible boot is all rotted away.

thanks again,
Terry
Cusser   +1y
I run a Luk clutch in my '88 B2200, replaced the slipping factory clutch about a dozen years back, I'm on 210K now.

Shifter boot (manual) goes under your shifter to seal out your trans Mazda # UB39-64-491
tbcaper   +1y
thanks, was one of the recommended manufacturers out there. Got the old clutch out so just waiting for the new one. the old one was down to the rivets on the flywheel side. The flywheel doesn't look too bad but I will get it resurfaced. Is there somewhere I can find the torque specs for the truck ? I ordered a manual but don't expect it in until later this month and I hope to have everything back together by then. One other question, is there some way to hold the flywheel when tightening the bolts? Had a fun time getting it off.

Thanks for all the help.
terry
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
To hold the flywheel in place put one of the transmission bolts into the block and then use a pry bar against the flywheel teeth to keep it from rotating.
tbcaper   +1y
Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. Now to just get the parts so I can put everything back together.
tbcaper   +1y
I have some torque specs but still don't have the following. Anyone able to provide torque specs for: 1-Transmission to engine bolts. 2-Transmission crossmember to frame. 3-Transmission crossmember to transmission. 4-Driveshaft to rear diff bolts. 5-Driveshaft support to frame. Thanks again.