threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  OBD 1, 17 pin efi diagnosis codes anyone?

OBD 1, 17 pin efi diagnosis codes anyone?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 543
replies 3
following 2

RustyBanger   +1y
Hey guys, I've seen the tutorials on youtube about rigging up a LED/ resistor circuit to access the long/short flash codes from the diagnosis box in my 98' Courier & have got it putting out the codes. It starts with a 'power on flash' for a couple of secs,( not related to any codes,) then there's a 4 sec pause & the codes start - long flash of about 1.6 secs,, (tens digit for a 10,) then a short flash of 0.4 sec,(ones digit for a 1,) = code 11, - it does this twice which is interesting for another code 11, then it does 1 long flash & 7 short flashes for a code 17. After that there's a 4 sec pause then it goes in a loop repeating 11, 11, & 17. If anyone has a full code list I'd really appreciate seeing it & if you wanna throw in a link for a workshop manual I'll be your friend for life!
baha   +1y
I had to do this on my Ranger recently. It may be the same since your Courier is technically ford but it may be slightly different. From my understanding, the codes weren't standardized across manufacturers until OBDII. I'm guessing you are not in the US.

11 - System Ok, this basically means that the EEC system didn't detect that itself was malfunctioning
17 - Idle RPM Low or High with ISC Retracted

I think I saw in another post you were troubleshooting your Idle Air Control Valve. You can clean this part and some people have had success with that but it really isn't that expensive. Basically the the computer needs a way to increase/decrease air coming into the intake to maintain idle which is done with this part.
RustyBanger   +1y
Wow, thanks for this! You guessed right in that I'm in Aus, & I've also noticed that the 11 code can mean system OK, on certain models with OBD1
& obviously for a US Ranger of this period. The 17 code also makes sense as when I was setting the timing/rpm, with a digital timing gun I deliberately set the idle about 100 rpm lower than spec to save of gas.
Post was last edited on Jul 08, 2016 01:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
Page 1 of 1