Page 2 of 2
Mazda 2.6L \  1991 b2600i engine head removal

1991 b2600i engine head removal

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 6607
replies 14
following 3

Cusser   +1y
Mine is B2200, but after having the cylinder head redone 5 years ago, it took about 50 miles to get my valve noise back to "normal". The noise cared the *(%##%$^&&$#@ hell out of me.
geterdun   +1y
This is a new (rebuilt) head assembly? Maybe just need to run awhile, heat up and circulate the air out. I and many others here will tell you, after mine, even the one I did a valve job on (I even pulled the lifters apart and cleaned) has set days or weeks, the lifters tick, usually you will notice later, hum, the lifters are quite now. I would say enjoy the fruit of your labor and drive, drive, drive. Still, when you check the oil, observe any color change. If it continues, a few hundred miles before your next oil change, add a can of engine cleaner (in days of old it would have been automatic transmission fluid) to the oil. If worried about damage from the over fill, change the oil filter, that will fix that.
You should be good to go.
I had to replace the crank in my Bandit in '78. After driving 17 mile of down the mountain highway from Spencer, TN to McMinnville, TN in 12 minutes.
I put a high volume oil pump in it, which was great, except at 80 I had 80 # of oil pressure, above that it started dry pumping, needle bouncing all over. So when I was going to travel, I added an extra quart to it, never notice gauge above 80 anymore, road slid under me too quick, just removed the fear of melting the rod bearings again.
Of course at these speed I was not power sliding around 20-20 m.p.h. curves at 40-50 m.p.h. like before (slinging the oil to sides of pan)!
Post was last edited on Jul 02, 2016 03:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
ssvashon5   +1y
Lifters are quiet now after running engine with 2nd new oil change, letting engine sit a few hours.
Then I went out and started it and magic, no noise!
I guess lifters had to get seated, etc.
Cusser   +1y
That's good news, we'll keep our fingers crossed.