Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  Recommended oil for new engine break-in

Recommended oil for new engine break-in

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 760
replies 5
following 1

Slammedbeez   +1y
I'm trying to figure out which oil I should use to break in my rebuilt engine. Ive looked on the net, but im trying to find info specifically for bseries, havent had any luck, thought i seen a nice break in procedure thread but cant find it again. Any help is appreciated.
Cusser   +1y
Here's what I did. I pulled the distributor wire so the engine would NOT start. I cranked the engine until the oil warning light went off. Then I replaced the coil wire and started it up. I used 10-40W Valvoline, and drove it normally, up and down through the gears, don't just let it idle an hour.

Most important is to use a good head gasket like Mazda or FelPro, and to check/retorque the cylinder head bolts and change the oil after about 500-600 miles.
Slammedbeez   +1y
Exactly what I needed to know, i appreciate it cusser
Slammedbeez   +1y
So got my truck up an running awhile ago, so far I only have 400 miles on it and it runs great, idles smooth, haven't had any issues so far. I used valvoline 10-40 for break in. Lately I've noticed that after my trucks all warmed up I can hear wat sounds like a lifter tick, I only hear it after my trucks pretty warm, i dont hear it when I start my truck up and drive off right away. I'm wondering if it's the oil type being that its multi viscosity? Should I go with a straight weight or try a different multi viscosity?
Cusser   +1y
lifter tick is all too common on these trucks, I've ignored the ticking on my 1988 B2200 for 22 years now !!!

Important is to change the oil within 200 more miles and check/retorque the cylinder head bolts with a new engine
Page 1 of 1