Mazda Engine General \  1990 B2200 won't start

1990 B2200 won't start

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2063
replies 10
following 2

CloudyMentos   +1y
Hello everyone, new here.
My 1990 B2200 decided to quit while I was driving and now it won't start. A bit of background, before it all out quit starting I had two other instances where it quit while I was driving, but started right back up after a few minutes of sitting there. Couldn't visually see anything wrong, but when I tried to crank it went ahead and started.

That last time it quit I thought I was out of fuel and the fuel gauge was broken or something, but added fuel and no dice. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, and right after that it turned on for about 30 seconds and then it it shut off and was back to nothing. I replaced the spark plugs and wires since they were old anyway and still nothing. Distributor rotor and cap are good and about 6 months old. Battery is good. I even replaced the ignition switch since it seems to be one of the common items that go bad about this age.

Ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Post was last edited on Mar 12, 2016 02:03. This post has been edited 1 times.
baha   +1y
Have you replaced your air filter?
CloudyMentos   +1y
Yeah air filter is good too, relatively new.
baha   +1y
So when you go to start it, does the engine turn over, fast enough that it should start? Also if you spray carb cleaner in the carb and try to start it does it start and then die?
CloudyMentos   +1y
Cranks/turn over normal it seems, tried the carb cleaner in the carb but did not start.
baha   +1y
From that, sounds like it's not getting spark. I would recheck the plugs to make sure they are clean and hooked up correctly. If it starts and then dies, that could be a vacuum leak.
CloudyMentos   +1y
They are clean and hooked properly, I'm thinking ignition coil now? But the part won't be in until Tuesday, so I won't know for sure until then. In the meantime, I'll recheck all the hoses and see if that goes anywhere.
Cusser   +1y
You need to "not guess". Start with the electrical part of the ignition switch, just because it cranks doesn't mean that there's voltage in the "run"position. If that delivers voltage to the coil 100% of the time, then isolate whether the issue is spark related or fuel related using starting fluid. You also need to ensure that the timing belt is still OK and not broken. Once you KNOW all that you can focus on the issue. Do NOT just throw parts at it, that's an entirely wrong approach.
CloudyMentos   +1y
Hi Cusser,
I can now tell you I KNOW it's not voltage to the switch, or fuel. The spark plugs and wires are pristine and correctly installed, the timing belt is also not broken. I rechecked for spark with some help and there are indeed no sparks. If a new coil doesn't do it, and everything else checks out then I'll truly be out of ideas. On the bright side, if I ever get it to run again I've now done a full tune-up. Thanks for the help all.
Cusser   +1y
Check coil and components inside the distributor (pick up and ignitor) or swap in a friend's distributor to try. Make sure to label all wires in advance, and know how to find TDC #1 and how to use a timing light.

Incidentally - a timing light can come in handy as a spark check tool, to help isolate a fuel delivery issue.