threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  Timing problems...i think?

Timing problems...i think?

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1901
replies 15
following 3

Weaselburner   +1y
Hey again! Finally got around to changing out the water pump on my 1990 b2200 and in the process did the timing. I think i messed something up horribly because although i double checked that TDC and mark lined up on the harmonic balancer at the same time as the "1" and arrow above, my truck wont start. clicks once. stops trying. The ignition power also goes off and won't come back for awhile...sometimes till i disconnect and reconnect the battery. i also checked that the distributor was at the right place in it's cycle when the marks were lined up. not sure what i did or how to fix it and any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, all
Post was last edited on Jan 10, 2016 11:01. This post has been edited 2 times.
kipwshields   +1y
dumb thought but did you check to see if the battery is not dead? also all wires on the distributor cap are correct? and did you remember when you drop the distributor in that it does rotate a bit when the gears set in place. its easy to get it off by 1 or 2 teeth and have issues. Make sure the starter has good connections i know on mine i had a bad connection and would hear a click and nothing. It really sounds like no juice in the battery... is the click more of a knock or does it sound like when ur battery is dead and clicking?
Weaselburner   +1y
it does sound more like when your battery is dead than a knocking.
I didn't change my distributor just opened the cap and checked that it was at the right place. all the wires are going to the right place and I'd typically think that it was a starter issue except it was working fine until i messed with the timing. the only other systems i touched in the process were power steering and alternator belts, engine fan, disconnected the emissions hoses, removed radiator, and the battery. i'll double check it's not a bad connection from disconnecting the negative cable while i worked but why would all the accessories come on when i turn the ignition? i stil have lights and fan when i turn it on. Thanks for the quick response. if i can't get this worked out in the next few hours i' going to be carless for at least a week
Weaselburner   +1y
yeah... just hooked up a spare battery, checked connections and this time the ignition accessories came on but not even a click when i tried to turn it over
kipwshields   +1y
And you are sure the notches were lined up when setting the piston position. if i remember right the TDC mark was a little off from directly up. maybe got confused and set it the opposite way? now if you are not getting even a click is no good when swapping out batteries. silly question but is the rotor still on the distributor? I took mine off once and the blade fell out of the cap and i didnt even notice it (retarded me haha) and that took me a few hours to figure out what the hell i did wrong. Did you mess with any of the connection on your coil? If you have a 5 speed stick i can go out and take a picture of mine right now. i have the same thing 1990 5 speed carb
Weaselburner   +1y
mines a 5 speed yes =) and i'm almost possative the notches were in the right spot. i lined them with the mark and checked every step of the way untill the cover was back o that they were right. i guess i'll probably just have to take it all apart and start again. another thing that happened is that the first time i tried it (and missed the timing marks) i was tightening the bolts that hold the harmonic balancer in place and they moved the crank shaft gear. i know you're not supposed to move the crank shaft gear this way but not sure why so is it possible i screwed something up there?
kipwshields   +1y
very possible. do you remember what way it turned and how far? i would simply start with making sure everything is back together right and if so while its all torn up i would try to get the crank in the spot it was. if your crank is out of place it would defiantly cause an issue.
kipwshields   +1y
Haha i just looked at what i typed and i was thinking of something totally different. i dont think that would screw anything up. this video is a bit off the mark on your problem but might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC9ZPq8Zwqk
Weaselburner   +1y
well that was the first time i tried the timing belt. this morning i woke up, tore it all apart and re-did it right. i was tightening so i thinking i turned the crank shaft maybe a quarter of a turn via turning the harmonic balancer by about a quarter turn. Also I'm becoming concerned that i might have bent a piston or something from trying to start an interference engine with the timing a little off. will this do it or will that only happen if the vehicle actually turns over and runs with the timing off?
kipwshields   +1y
This one might help a bit too....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J7b7ypZeC0