Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine General \  B2000 wont start

B2000 wont start

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 812
replies 3
following 3

1986b2000   +1y
I forgot to re-torque my head bolts at 500 miles after new head gasket. They loosened a lot and blew the gasket. Changed the head gasket again and since I don't own a torque wrench I cranked the head bolts down as hard as i could now it won't start. It did start and i drove it but it had no power after 2000rpm and sounded weird so i checked timing and i guess i forgot to tighten the tensioner bolt because the tensioner wad loose and it skipped 5 teeth. Now it won't start unless i hold the gas down and it only barely runs and dies after a few seconds. Do you think i killed the head gasket and am getting bad compression? All help is appreciated.

-Devin
Post was last edited on Dec 19, 2015 12:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
Cusser   +1y
Devin - first of all, I cannot even believe that you did (twice, apparently) a head gasket job without a torque wrench, why don't you just shoot the engine with a bazooka ?

O'Reilly has free loaner torque wrenches, Harbor Freight has click-type for $12 or less, what I used on my B2200 rebuild. I checked/retorqued my 10 B2200 cylinder bolts after my rebuild at about 500 -600 miles, and only 2 needed tweaking at all, and just a little. If yours were loose, you did much wrong. Also, the B200 head has mechanical lifters so the valve clearances must be re-adjusted periodically, especially after a re-torque. And only use Felpro or Mazda head gaskets.

Are you getting bad compression? That's what a compression tester is for, again: free loaner tool from O'Reilly or Autozone.

Good luck. You'll need it. How can one "forget" a 500 mile re-torque ????
kj.electrical   +1y
Recheck your belt timing, then check it again.
I had a weird problem a while back, driving at about 100kmh the engine sorta lurched and then lost power, almost like losing a cylinder but without the obvious noises.
Long story short, the belt had somehow jumped forward a tooth, would still run but gutless as it was sparking too early.
Worth a double check
befarrer   +1y
Also check timing, if you set it while the timing belt was off a tooth or so, it will now be way off.
Page 1 of 1