Page 3 of 3
Mazda Projects \  4 door B tow pig.

4 door B tow pig.

Mazda Projects
views 5185
replies 27
following 3

vsawmike   +1y
I will be posting pics as often as I can on this. I would like to do this build while I am doing the other one at the same time. If you would like to discuss any of those major problem topics just let me know. I have lots of thoughts on it.
Post was last edited on Apr 07, 2016 07:04. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
I thought about using a ribbed roof from a full sized van. Ford used to use a ribbed roof for their full size crew cabs trucks too... maybe they still do.
vsawmike   +1y
Yea it's gonna have to be something like that. I was thinking an Astro or Aerostar van or some other minivan. Maybe one with a sunroof. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. It may also require some structure in the truck to hold it up.
sincitylocal   +1y
The Chrysler glass is damned near square, with a very slight arch across the top. The Mazda glass is nowhere near square. As the window goes up in the channel, it also moves slightly rearward.
The curve is the same, it just looks different because it's sitting on the screws. A simple bracket may solve regulator mounting issues.
post photo
post photo
Post was last edited on Apr 09, 2016 03:04. This post has been edited 1 times.
vsawmike   +1y
Looks pretty darn good. The thing about glass is that for it to slide up and down in a track the front and back have to have two parallel parts so it slides properly. Looks like yours has one long straight side at the left in that first pic and the back is straight most of the way up. That should be pretty easy to frame up. For me the hard part will be getting it to roll up where it looks straight when rolling up and the top of the glass is parallel to the door.

As we talked about and I guess you certainly know the rear door glass is what sets the length of the rear door. And that the door glass frame has to be the first thing made basically.
vsawmike   +1y
I was at the wrecking yard today and did a little more looking. A few things caught my eye. But I will have to do more research. I did not take my curve template so I will have to go back. I still think I have the closest one right now unless something else jumps out at me. More to come on this.
vsawmike   +1y
I have worked on this recently. I decided to go with a different glass. A later model Mazda MPV van rear door glass has a better shape. It requires me to make the rear doors 7.5" shorter than the front but that's ok with me. It was the only glass that would have the window frame looking close to stock. I have one door skinned, shortened and tacked back together. The next step is to add some good rubbers in the tracks, add the regulators and make them roll up and down. Once I have that working I can put the skin back on the door and move on to the next one. This is a left front door that will be swapped to the right rear. So in this pic the left side of the pic will be the back. Which means the upper body line goes down at the back and will need to be straight. I'll likely have to cut the door skin in the middle and swap the tops of each door skin. That or swap sides and move the handle holes. Either way it will be a pain in the ass. Since the last time I posted here I bought several more trucks. I now have 12 Mazda trucks. One work truck, a backup work truck, one driver and the rest are parts trucks and trucks to use for the Crew cab and the roadster. More to come.
post photo
post photo
post photo
Post was last edited on Jan 01, 2018 05:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
vsawmike   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
post photo