threads
Page 5 of 10
Mazda Projects \  Building that crew cab long bed I always dreamed of. .

Building that crew cab long bed I always dreamed of. .

Mazda Projects
views 21304
replies 99
following 18

FoxFamilyCustomz   +1y
Well I've got the start to my stock floor body drop. . I know it looks kinda scab in the picture but it will be cleaned up. .

I'm concerned about frame flex.. anyone have experience with this. .

I didn't cut the frame in half exactly I I took 2 and 1/8 off the top and dropped it inside the frame and re welded it.. so overall frame size under the cab is 3inch..

What do you think
post photo
baha   +1y
Personally I wouldn't go under 4" tall with that thickness. I think you will see some flex but to help you could always weld on plates to the inside and outside. It's hard to tell but from the pictures it looks like the driver side rail is made out of 4-5 different pieces. The more joints the weaker it is.
vsawmike   +1y
You are going to need more free than that. You alsi need to make sure and use plenty of cab mounts under there.
FoxFamilyCustomz   +1y
It's all still one piece. . I cut 2 and 1/8 out of the stock frame and slid it inside of itself. . So it's 3in tall but still has all the steel used from the factory
vsawmike   +1y
Still not enough frame for that length.
FoxFamilyCustomz   +1y
Well I'll have to figure something out because after all the welding on the cab so far I don't want to cut the floor out of the truck again
vsawmike   +1y
You could add a flat plate down the outside and inside. Would not need to weld it solid just an inch of weld then a 6 inch gap then another weld. Plate would need to be 3/16" or 1/4" thick. that would be plenty. Maybe even just a 1/4" thick on just the outside would be enough. But I really think you need more than that.

See the frame in the pic. I stretched it twice. Once when we did two cabs back to back and then again when I added 6 ft between the doors. Certainly the body mounts will help stiffen it.
post photo
FoxFamilyCustomz   +1y
I'm not going anywhere near that far ..

I think between the 2 stock frames I used I had to lengthen it 16in .. I used 2x3 1/4 wall for that..

Remember I'm using a stock e cab Frame and a stock long box rear frame..

From the rear cab mounts back is stock mazda frame...

So from basically the transmission bellhousing to the rear cab mounts is what I'm trying to cut down for a stock floor body drop. .
FoxFamilyCustomz   +1y
Don't make fun..

I just shot some paint on it to try to pick a color. . It might look like several pieces but really it's only 2 ..

Like I said b4 I basically cut in in half and slid it inside itself. . Without removing any factory material. .

I need sound advice at this point because I'm not cutting the cab floor and I need around 2 inches of body drop. .
post photo
vsawmike   +1y
How well does that Dewalt cordless recip saw work? I was thinking of buying one.