1946 Ford needs your help

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 3020
replies 10
following 9

rustylocke   +1y
Edited: 9/10/2012 10:43:54 AM by rustylocke

Edited: 9/10/2012 10:40:19 AM by rustylocke

The back of this truck rides like an iron wheel wagon. I was thinking of changing it up. I am mainly concerned with $$$ and ride quality. Feel free to chime in with any ideas. Here is what I have thought of so far. 2X2 2-Link with either a coil spring or 9100 tappered airbag mounted on the rear of the 2X2. See picture

drpitlo   +1y
Or you could put it on a ranger frame and get a KP 6 link but the the $$$ goes down the drain. You could do the 2 link but I wouldnt run a sleeve bag back that far it would take to much air pressure to get any lift and sleeve bags dont take much pressure ot get my lift. I would say put bags over the axle.
rustylocke   +1y
I don't have any room for that. Any other suggestions.
drpitlo   +1y
triangulated 4 link with bag on bar or 2 link but you will need a watts link or panhard bar it doesnt look like much room between the axle and gas tank
THE LOW RANGER   +1y
two link with a drag link and bags on bars
FAUBS   +1y
Cheapest way to go is to put some shackles on the rear of the leaf so the leaf will have some spring in her.
drpitlo   +1y
The way he has them set up now it will lower the truck more.
FAUBS   +1y
The little bit of fab work it would take to keep the leaf set up would def. be a lot cheaper than comin up with a complete bag set up.
slammedxonair   +1y
Keep in mind sleeve bags need to move as straight up and down as possible with little arc to them. Mounting the bag behind the axle is not going to increase the pressure needed, vs over axle. If the bags were forward on the bars in levered setup it would increase the pressure needed vs over the axle. But I would never run sleeve bags in a leverage setup.
truck action   +1y
Edited: 9/15/2012 10:27:16 AM by truck action

I run Firestone #9000 sleeve bags forward of the axle on my 88 Toyota, ride quality & handing are great!Have had this for 7 years now , no problems!!
post photo