Page 1 of 1
Mazda Trucks \  302 Swap Basics??

302 Swap Basics??

Mazda Trucks Make Specific
views 564
replies 1
following 2

mazrod   +1y
Just bought another Mazda, this one has no engine or tranny. I have a 302 sitting collecting dust and I want to put this in but I have heard mixed reviews. Problems with motor mounts, and rear ends. I understand the tranny tunnel needs to be modified slightly. I dont know what tranny to use but I know I want a auto. I have heard I can run factory rear end but I plan on doing a 5 lug swap so what would be the best rear end to run, and what about drive shaft. Im going to rebuild the motor and clean it up back to factory specs, so Im not to big on power, just want people to know theirs a V8. its carbed, hope you guys can help.
cable   +1y
mazdas usually have huge transmission tunnels,you want a c4 3 speed auto transmission-smallest automatic option,speedway motors prob. the best place for motor mounts,ford explorer 8.8 rear axle with disc brakes is your best rear axle option-not sure of lug pattern right off though.your axle or a toyota axle will work,but less gear options,try to get a higher geared rear end(numerically lower)to help with fuel mileage and lower rpm at highway speeds.you could use the same explorer drive shaft,and shorten/lengthen as needed.cable shifter,bigger radiator,speedway motors has ford aluminum radiators dirt cheap,electric fan most likely,mallaroy makes a crab cab optical distributor if distributor doesn't clear the hood.-hope that helps!
Page 1 of 1