Page 1 of 1
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Welding to strokes

Welding to strokes

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 1617
replies 7
following 8

truk2low4u   +1y
Is it ok to weld tabs directly to the stroke housing?
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
I wouldn't suggest it as you will likely distort the inner wall of the ram. I would sleeve the cylinder and weld to that.
kingpin7714   +1y
but ... it can be done, if done correctly, and carefully:

post photo
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
Aaron Iha also welded to the cylinder on Patricks hardbody without any apparent negative effects. Just depends on the skill level of the welder.
BuiltByBrooks   +1y
Personally I wouldn't unless you can have the inside cylinder rebored back to spec, you "could" have problem down the road.. Just my 2 cents
JUICED03   +1y
sleeve it with thick wall tube and weld to that ..... jmo
smithchassis   +1y
As previously stated, It is highly reccomended that you use a sleeve that fits over the cylinder casing, and weld to that. even small amounts of welding can make small imperfections or warps on a cylinder wall and cause premature seal wear.
PFB   +1y
I've welded to the cylinder casings no less than a 100 times. I used to have to do it all the time to make strut cylinders and weld brackets to tilt bed cylinders. Pull the piston out and make sure you clean out the inside of the cylinder case so you don't have burnt oil residue on the inside. I've never had a problem just be smart and use the least amount of heat as possible.
Page 1 of 1