Page 1 of 1
Air Ride Suspensions \  How much air do I need

How much air do I need

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 2610
replies 6
following 5

48rob   +1y
How many cubic feet of air are needed to fill a pair of 2600# airbags?

Will one full 5 gallon tank at 120 psi lift a set of bags 1 time, 2 times?

Thanks.

Rob
Rob Clayhill   +1y
Really it all depends and varies from vehicle to vehicle but the heavier the ride, then the more air it will take in the bags to lift it.
Some mini trucks can lift and drive on 100psi while my tbird with v8 up front wont even start to lift at 100...
The more air the marrier in my opinion.
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
exactly what Rob said. i have had one 5 gallon and up to three 5 gallon tanks in my s10 before. the single tank filled fast to 160 and once i aired up (120 front / 60 back) i had to refill but when three 5 gallon tanks filled to 160, the air lasted alott longer. id imagine a caddy or burban would take alot more to lift therefor more air to refill the tanks.
48rob   +1y
Thank you.

I have two 2600# bags on one axle lifting a total weight of 3000#. (trailer)

What I'm trying to figure is if I had no compressor, just a 5 gallon air tank, if it would hold enough air to lift the bags at least one time?

Rob
Slappy Mc Nasty   +1y
those bags would be plenty for that trailer/weight combo altho if you have something possibly go wrong (fitting, airline, bag, etc) all your worries will be 10 fold. a regular 5 gal tank is rated at 180 psi but i have seen them as high as 300+, leaks would be your only downfall. ive seen/known people use a schreader (?) (the tire fitting) port mounted on the license plate or close to for easy access that connects to a "T" fitting, then airlines off to the bags eliminating the tank all together.
48rob   +1y
--------------------------------------------

those bags would be plenty for that trailer/weight combo altho if you have something possibly go wrong (fitting, airline, bag, etc) all your worries will be 10 fold

--------------------------------------------

Thank you.

I have it set up so that I still maintain enough ground clearance with one or both bags empty.

64caddy   +1y
i have a suburban and i have 6 gallons of air. 3 gallons for each side and at 185 psi i can lift the front almost all the way and the back all the way but I'm outta air!
Page 1 of 1