Air Ride Suspensions \  Air bags under a trailer

Air bags under a trailer

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 475
replies 0
following 1

48rob   +1y
Hi,

I'm working on a small travel trailer project (8' wide x 14' long, 3500# max weight).

It is a standard trailer setup with a tube axle, 4" drop, and leaf springs.The bottom of the trailer frame currently rides 12" off the ground.I'm installing a dropped floor between the frame rails, and forward of the axle.

If I remove the rear shackles and set the rear spring eye on the frame (2.5" drop, frame now 10" off ground) I am at my lowered height (at rest height).If I then raise the frame in the same location (rear spring eye) 7 inches, that will be my ride height, frame now 14 inches off the ground.

I could use longer shackles to get the needed height, but the idea behind all this effort is to be able to lower the trailer to the 10" clearance mark to be able to get it in/under a standard 7' garage door.At this point/ride height, my dropped floor section will be 5" off the pavement.

When I'm clear of the garage door, the trailer needs to be raised to give me the extra 4 inches I need to have a 9" clearance.

I'm looking at a couple different ways to do this; the first is to disconnect the shackles, and add an air bag and shock on each side.The spring remains just as a basic trailing arm, and a panhard bar will be installed just behind the axle to prevent sideways motion.When at rest, the spring eye rests on the frame, when in transit, the air bag and shock does the work.The first issue I see after disconnecting the shackles, is that I now have a good potential for axle wrap.No power as it is a trailer, but during braking it could twist.

A link bar from the center top of the axle to a brace running between the frame rails ahead of the axle should keep it to a safe minimum?

The second thought is to toss the leaf springs completely, and build a trailing arm from 2x2 tube, with a pivot where the spring eye now mounts, and welded to the "U" bolt bracket.The air bags and shocks being used as before.

I'm very new to all this suspension application, so I would appreciate any insight and experience you might wish to share.I want to make it safe and dependable, but don't want to spend a fortune. I'm looking for a low budget solution.

Thanks

Rob
Page 1 of 1