Page 1 of 1
Air Ride Suspensions \  Rear bag mounting

Rear bag mounting

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 1350
replies 7
following 5

suicidemazda   +1y
What do u guys prefer and whats worked best for u.on link bar.above axle. Behind axel? Thanks
maztang (ryan)   +1y
What are you doing with the truck? I prefer bag over bar for more lift and a smoother ride. I am also learning that coil over shocks work much nicer than just regular shocks. Bag over axle is a simple way for most guys to do it and is the only way I would bag a truck to tow with. But that is just me. And that is if you are keeping a solid axle, if you go with an IRS then there are many other options. Also, don't forget about cantilever setups if you want to get crazy with it. If you want to do a 5 link or a 6 link you could do bag over bar behind the axle, I would only do this if you are planing on running some serious hp, otherwise a 4 link with a bag over bar setup work fine on most minitruck applications. Personally I will never install a 2 link, I will never install less than 8 valves, and I will never install a reverse 4 link. I bought my Mazda with a 50/50 4 link with a bag over axle setup and it has worked fine for the last 12 yrs it has been bagged, but I will be swapping to an IRS and a full custom frame soon. Also keep in mind that you want to run the biggest bag you can fit in the front and the rear, and shocks on all 4 corners. I know that is all more than you asked for but I hope it helps.
slammedxonair   +1y
Yea it really just depends on your clearances, and if you want better handling or a softer ride and more lift. Bag over axle and bag behind, or behind and under are all pretty much going to ride the same, and provide tighter handling. If your not trying to race the truck and care more about a smooth ride and max lift do a bag on bar setup if you have room.
suicidemazda   +1y
good deal thanks for the help
truck action   +1y
Edited: 2/20/2012 11:16:02 AM by truck action

Did you consider sleeve bags?There is way more travel with these than a convoluted bag!I run Firestone 9000's with a forward tri -4 link,the bags are 4'' forward of the axle, ride & handling are very good! :BEERCHUG:
slammedxonair   +1y
F9000 bags only get 4" of stroke 6.25" compressed 10.25" extended. An SS6 2500 bag yields 8.3" of stroke SS7 yields 9.3" Sleeve bags need to be mounted as vertical as possible such as over axle. If you want a smooth ride, don't care about lift, and don't have a lot of rear weight, then F9000 bags might be an option.
maz duh   +1y
The F9000 air spring from firestone is 4.5 inches fully compressed and 12 inches at its max stroke giving 7.5 inches of lift, not 4 as stated above. Gary is right on the money, they are a great riding bag for over axle applications.
slammedxonair   +1y
Edited: 2/20/2012 9:23:31 PM by slammed x on air

I just posted the specs listed in the Firestone master catalog. Over extending and compressing those bags can mess them up. I have seen it happen a few times.
Page 1 of 1