Page 1 of 1
Air Ride Suspensions \  Narrowing a rear end on an 04 1500

Narrowing a rear end on an 04 1500

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 605
replies 8
following 7

DalyDrgr   +1y
Starting to look around for a competent shop to narrow my rear end on my 04 Sierra, already stockfloored. Im looking to go about 6" on the narrow. My question to those that have done it, is it possible to do by re-splining the axles or should I just go with Mosers? Secondly, even though im already thinking of going with a 6", are their any suggestions on whats a realistic narrow to run an avg 24" wheel? Its already on 22's, but the suspension is set up to fit 24's. I have no intention of having custom wheels made, so a typical off the shelf backspacing and offset is what im looking for.

Lastly, if anyone has any experience with any local shops around the Fayetteville/Raleigh NC area to do this work, please let me know.
thacru78   +1y
You can have the axles resplined...I've done them both ways. Resplined and having new axles made. Haven't had a problem out of any of them and the trucks I build get driven hard. I wouldn't narrow the rearend until you get your wheels. Narrowing them isn't cheap...$500-$1000...so if your measurements are off it can be an expensive mistake. I narrowed my axle twice because I got deep dish billets...it's not fun spending that money twice.
phat phabrikationz   +1y
6" on an off the shelf wheel will over narrow your rearend.

I narrow rearend 6" when running the 24x10 with 6" lip.

More than likely, an incH and a half on each side will do. But like stated above, get your wheels before you narrow.
Marcos_65   +1y
Make sure yours can be re-splined because some have a taper to them and cant be
IMLOWER   +1y
mine was narrowed 4" on my 06 fit perfect on my 24's but was areal tight fit when i upgraded to 26's and respineing is fine
DalyDrgr   +1y
--------------------------------------------

Marcos_65 said:

Make sure yours can be re-splined because some have a taper to them and cant be

--------------------------------------------

And you would be the winner.Took them to a really good hot rod shop here and unfortunately, mine had this taper, and while he was able to re-spline them, it would have been a 7" narrow to remove the taper and get back to the correct shaft size and was way too much for my needs. So, Moser axles it is. Thanks for the info and quick responses here.
BK2LIFE   +1y
get your wheels first
gimp5561   +1y
is wilkesboro nc too far of a drive for you if not there is a local shop that narrowed
a few rearends in the last 20 years or so he will help you in anyway he can.
has built lots of drag cars, if you want his number let me know..
DalyDrgr   +1y
Appreciate it, but I took it to Carolina Customs Hot Rods in Clinton. Old school hot rodder with some serious equipment. Apparently he has been manufacturing parts for the hot rod scene for many years. And his prices are beyond reasonable.
Page 1 of 1