threads
Page 1 of 1
Air Ride Suspensions \  Will a Brass ball valve limit the amount of compression in the lines?

Will a Brass ball valve limit the amount of compression in the lines?

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 725
replies 4
following 3

integraoligist   +1y
Hey all, I want to "remove" a lot of the air from my 1/2" system setup. Reason is the ride is just way to bouncy and it's just way to quick for me.

I was going to move all the pump/dump valves to right on top of the bags, but I cant... not enough room in the engine bay.

So, if I add ball valves to right on top of the bags and just crack them open to say 1/16"... that way the raise/lower will be nice and slow... will this also fix the bounciness issue? Or will the pressure from hitting bumps push the air though the 1/16" valve like it's not even there and still be bouncy as hell?

I can't get springs because i'm actually using SMC air cylinders, not bags.Thanks all!
Layumon22s   +1y
it will slow down the raise/dump. it won't help the bounce. it may even make it stiffer (more bouncy) because the system will have less space to compress in to due to not being to move as fast through the 1/16" valve.

in order to make it "less bouncy" you need to run less air but get the same lift. only way to do this is to change out the bags/cylinders to something larger. i'm not familiar enough with air cylinders to recommend anything.

does anyone know if it's possible to put accumulators on an air setup? I don't know there theory of operation but remember guys saying you needed them on a hydro system if you didn't want to get beat to death from the bounch. this may be route worth investigating if it's possible
integraoligist   +1y
wtf? Your response about the bounciness is the opposite of what I was told on another thread. I was told that in order to remove the bounciness I need to remove as much air as possible because the air is compressing to much in the cylinder and through the long 1/2" air lines that it's causing the car to pretty much float up and down.

Let me explain my issue a little better, when I hit a bump or dip in the road, the entire car goes up/down up/down and quite a while... as if I had Springs and No Struts.. up/down all over the place.

Right now if I hit a good size bump, sometimes it will bottom out the cylinder then fly back the other way and top out the cylinder. Wouldnt adding more air to the system make this even worse?
slammedxonair   +1y
If you add accumulators it will make the ride softer, the more volume the softer the ride and less pressure it takes to lift. So less volume = stiffer ride and higher pressure. In order to limit the volume of a cylinder you would need the valves mounted to the cylinder because air line to a bag or cylinder = volume. Mounting the valves to the cylinders will make them faster as the air has less distance to travel to fill the cylinder. In order to slow down the system with the valves mounted to the cylinders an inline flow control (or ball valve) would be needed to restrict the flow to your liking. Or you could always find a spot to fab up a bracket and mount some shocks next to the cylinder if there is room. This will help with an air ride being bouncy and slow down the system as well.
integraoligist   +1y
Ok, so I take that as I am in the right frame of mind with putting ball valves directly on top of the cylinders then the valves on top of the air valves... this will make it more of a stiffer "sport style" suspension, plus raise/lower much more slowly.
Correct?

Thanks for the verification!
Page 1 of 1