threads
Page 1 of 1
Air Ride Suspensions \  Air Ride cause tire failure?

Air Ride cause tire failure?

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 528
replies 8
following 7

integraoligist   +1y
Hey all,Was wondering if having an Air or hydrolic system (i'm on air btw) would cause your tires to be eatin up? Premature wear and what not.

And if so, how much of a problem is it with the tire situation? Say if you get 60k mi tires, would they go bad at 30k? I'm just trying to get an idea.

Thanks all!
MIOTCH616   +1y
Depends if you got your alignment done while at ride height. Granted unless your running an accuair set up its very hard to get back at the exactly height you got it aligned. Your tires will wear but if u keep up with rotations regularly then that should help eliminate uneven tire wear. Hope that makes sense
fatbastardcustoms   +1y
theres many things that can cause tires to wear out faster i will start with the basics

suspension change without alignment
worn out bushings on control arms and various other parts
massive camber
toe in
cheap china made tires, for whatever reason do not last as long as the better name brand ones goodyear, firestone, etc etc
the china tires are more flexible and less heavy and are more exposed to premature wear and blow outs
tire age anything over 2-3 years old is either on the verge of being junk or already is especially for long drives
valve stem failure believe it or not they can fail especially if not changed with the tires.
tire slime can actually eat away at the rim slowly and the tire and cause tiny holes to start to devolop causing the tire to get low on psi and eventually wear out faster or fail completly.
also based upon your name, hondas for whatever reason especially in the front and rear wear out tires faster due to camber.
if your running to low or to high of a psi in your tires it will also shorten the life span. if your bushings and suspension parts that are factor are older then 150k miles you should look into probably considering replacing the bushings and mounts rubber does get old and hard eventually they will fail too. but its easier to keep a vehicle even with adjustable suspension aligned with good bushings and gauges. yes youll never have a perfect 100% aligned vehicle if you hop it, bushings are shot or if you dont have gauges to see where you set it or where its at ride wise. however you can prevent the tires from costing you more in the long run. however if your going thru brand new tires in under a year either your driving a HELL of a lot, or your toe in or bushings are fucked.
integraoligist   +1y
Well, here is my little story of why I am asking... yes it is a Honda, a '97 Acura Integra.
About 5 years ago I was on here and you all helped me out with getting a whole new setup for it, I still had the stock tires and rims. Changed the stock suspension to Cans that have a full 8" throw to them. Since the install 5 years ago I probably put about 2000 miles on them. Car basically sits there, wife does not like riding in it because it's way to bouncy and we drive to work together so we always use the truck.

Now, we will be working apart from one another and this Integra is my only other car, so I will be using it a lot from now on. And of course the tires have such deep cracks in them they need replacements asap. And seeing as though I need 4 new tires I figured I might as well get some rims too...

But, even though I hardly ever drove her, there is always a problem with the air... always leaking somewhere. I'd find it and replace the cracked fitting here and there. But now that I need to drive her all the time I am seriously thinking about just removing the air and going to a regular lowering kit with springs and struts so that I wont have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road because another fitting cracked. But that will be another $700 and I'd sell my $2000 air suspension to someone but i highly doubt anyone would want to buy it all.

What are all your thoughts and opinions on my situation?
StockfloorYota   +1y
Leaks are something that can be fixed, as a proper system shouldn't leak at all. Get under or wherever in the car and spray soapy water on the joints and see exactly where things are leaking and remove the fittings and re-tape them and install them. Test it after and see if it's fixed.

Cans are notorious for problems from my experience, but I have seen some nice reliable setups as well. I don't know if it's luck of the draw or just the quality of install.

Is it worth trying to sell a 2000 dollar kit for 1200 and then buying 700-1000 dollar coils? Or would you rather spend a few bucks on fittings and see if you can't fix it? I'd go that route, personally. Guess it's all about what's best for your situation.
integraoligist   +1y
I'm in the Chicago area and it seems whenever it starts to get cold (like now) fittings are cracking here and there. Their not leaking out of the threads, they totally split. I was planning on removing the 1/2" valves from the 5gal air tank and moving them right on top of the air cylinders so there is 1. less fittings from where the air in the can to the end of the open pipe meets 2. less air so that it will help stiffen the ride. 3. less of a change of a crack or hole in one of the airlines causing me to sit on the side of the road.

But as you said, the cost of the new spring/strut setup VS the cost of replacing some fittings... thats why I was wondering about tires. If i'm going to be driving a lot, and the air system eating up tires... would I be saving money if I have to replace premature tire wear?

I'd say I will be hitting maybe 8k miles a year once I start my new job...

I know the new Cadillacs and a few other cars now have air ride standard on them... but as far as safety is concerned, is the air reliable for a daily driver?
TONY95CHEVY   +1y
Dot fittings. There suppose to handle the stress. Expensive though. Twice the price.
DalyDrgr   +1y
I have driven daily on air for about 10 years now, so yes, its reliable if you have good upkeep. If you are cracking lines, and fittings, then you are either not using DOT parts, or your install is improper. Main thing you need to realize is that in Chicago, or anywhere up North for that matter, your main foe is water. Making sure you have water traps on your tank will significantly help out with wear and tear in freezing weather and dont be afraid to add a little air brake fluid (Used by semi's) to your system, to keep parts from freezing/drying out.

Done right, you will not wear out tires any faster than normal.
guywith91s10   +1y
never seen dot brass fittings crack, and be care full with the air line anti freeze it takes all the lubrication out of the valves and can make them act up...a little goes a long ways
Page 1 of 1