Page 1 of 1
Audio/Video \  A Little Help Please!

A Little Help Please!

Audio/Video Q & A
views 1219
replies 4
following 3

low mazda   +1y
Purchased new shit for my wife's truck since hers got stolen and sold for drugs!Got 2 Infinity 100.9 subs and an Infinity Reference 1600a amp.

Now my question is referring to these subs. They have the ability to run either 2 or 4 ohm. They have a switch on them. I am trying to determine which setting I should run the subs to get the best quality bass and sound out of them. Could someone help me out here. I am kind of dumb when it comes to stereo stuff. I normally ask when I buy the stuff how I should hook it all up, but I ordered all this from Crutchfield and don't feel like calling them for advice.
crux131   +1y
Set the switch on both subs to 4 ohm, and wire the subs in parallel. Basically running both subs positive wire to the speaker out, and the same with the negatives. This will give your amp a final impedance of 2 ohms( total ) which is the lowest that amp is rated for. It is also where it makes the most power.

Make sure you use a large enough gauge power wire and ground for the amp. I think that model will accept 4 gauge, but it really depends on the distance from the amp to the battery( Meaning if it is very close to the battery you could probably use 8 gauge without issue ).
low mazda   +1y
I already have it all wired up. I have 4 gauge from battery to amp, (under back seat of ex cab silverado), 4 gauge ground and have 12 gauge speaker wire. So if my amp has + - + - for speaker outputs, put my wires on the outside + and - and not use the middle two both positives on out side + and both negatives on opposite -, or use all four? one set for one speaker and one set for the other?
crux131   +1y
Edited: 10/17/2011 9:52:00 AM by crux131

Just wire one sub to each + - output on the amp. It is a mono amp, the extra speaker output is already paralleled inside the amp and is just to simplify hook up of multiple subs.

The amp will see the 2 ohm load and perform just fine.
low mazda   +1y
Ok. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1