threads
Page 1 of 3
Air Ride Suspensions \  How to stiffen up my suspension? Smaller Lines?

How to stiffen up my suspension? Smaller Lines?

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 3985
replies 21
following 16

integraoligist   +1y
Hey all,I have 1/2" lines running to all 4 corners with 1/2" valves.... first off, It's just way to fast for me, I like a nice slow up/down so I added shutoff valves to all of valves and have them almost completely closed.... so it takes about 5 seconds to go from 0psi up 4" to 120psi

My big issue is the bouncy suspension that air gives.

If I change everything over to 1/4" or even 1/8" lines, will that help stiffen up the suspension and I can also eliminate the shutoff valves?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks all!
IMLOWER   +1y
all the small lines will do is make it lift and drop slower to make it stiffer your gonna need a nice set of good shocks
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
that and what bags are you using?

a smaller bag will require you to be at a a higher pressure to acheive the same lift heigh, which will stiffen up your ride as well.

But, if your not on shocks right now, add a nice pair of shocks like potter said, and you will be happy with that for sure.

Taylor
rodandtruckdesign   +1y
where are your valves located? are they closer to the bags or the tank?.....try moving valves (fill and dump) closer to the bags...this will stiffen up things a little... the air in the lines is also compressing when the bag compresses with suspension movement...you get the valves closer to the bag means less air compressed by the bags..hence stiffer action..and run a good set of valved shocks....
hope this helps
railkng   +1y
shocks! gotta have them in the rear at least!!! ya dig
unusualfabrication   +1y
--------------------------------------------

Chopped Mazda said:

that and what bags are you using?

a smaller bag will require you to be at a a higher pressure to acheive the same lift heigh, which will stiffen up your ride as well.

But, if your not on shocks right now, add a nice pair of shocks like potter said, and you will be happy with that for sure.

Taylor

--------------------------------------------

Nothing much else to add that hasn't been said already. I recently worked on a truck and had the same problem, it was plumbed with 1/2" line and valves and it was just way to fast for the owner. It also didn't have shocks on it, at all! He didn't have the money to replace and replumb the entire air system so I shoved some 3/8" line inside the 1/2" line and then some 1/4" line inside the 3/8" line, basically making the 1/2" line 1/4". This did slow it it down for the time being until he purchases 3/8" line and valves. Also you may want to run a lower pressure if your running 200 psi or something like that. Shocks will also slow it down some as well as make it more controlable.
integraoligist   +1y
Thanks for the responses all!

They are MIC Air cylinders on all for... I do not have shocks, I didnt know that you could even use shocks with bags/cylinders.

I have the SMC valves right on the tank, so the travel all the way to the front of the car is about a 12' for one line and 14' for the other side.

What kind of Shocks can I get that will fit over these cans?

It's all on a '97 Acura Integra 2-door.

Thanks again!
IMLOWER   +1y
take the cans off and juice it itll fix everything and get you lower
fatbastardcustoms   +1y
with cylinders you really dont want it stiff, it rides like shit then trying rolling around fully locked up at 150-200 psi feels like juice with out accumulators, find your ride height and it will be smoother, however cylinders ride like crap compared to a regular bag. if you want it to smooth out some 1/2 gallon tanks between the valve and cylinder will help some its basically an accumulator at that point, however its never gonna ride like a caddy, maybe close to stock with 90 psi in the front and say 60psi out back but thats about it. if you want the air and want to get rid of the cans, theres a few ways people on here have done it, they have put bags on the lower and upper arms on the stock suspension. strut bags work good ride wise ive been told but you loose lift. duckn on here has a civic thats bagged on the rear lower arms, and cuzican has a civic on the upper arms. lot of work and figuring it out. but best bet is dont roll around at full height and you will ride smoother as for slower lift, smaller lines connected to your valves and cans work. but its a slower lift.
fatbastardcustoms   +1y
also you wont find shocks that work with those cylinders or any cylinders on cars.