threads
Page 1 of 2
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Air craft hydros on mini/fullsize?

Air craft hydros on mini/fullsize?

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 825
replies 13
following 11

98FRMED150   +1y
Any one have pics...or has anyone ever built a mini or full size truck with air craft stuff? I used to be in the lowrider scene back in the day and always wanted a set up like this on my 61 bubble top but sold it. Thought it would be a cool set up on a bodied truck. Pics? Builds?
smithchassis   +1y
The cost of the older vickers, pesco, and other original aircraft stuff is pretty high. So I doubt that very few people will be building minis with older aircraft style setups, some guys have close to 20 grand just in trunk setups for the true og aircraft stuff
still_2_hi   +1y
I have always wanted to know why people dont use industrial hydraulic parts for a hydro setup on cars and trucks. A belt driven hydraulic pump seems so much simpler to me than batteries and 12 volt pumps. MAybe its my ignorance speaking here lol. Maybe someone could chime in who knows what they are talking about? Like the hydroholics guys or tre5. I hope this isnt a thread jack on my part, if it is too far off topic we'll take it somewhere else.
smithchassis   +1y
Because you'd need a pretty big belt driven pump to raise and lower your car, lol. And it would put too much of a load on your engine, your standard hydraulic street pump will work great for years of trouble free driving on 12 to 24 volts, just wont be fast. When we build competition setups we run up to and sometimes over 72 volts to one pump at a given time, and use a 24 volt source to open our dumps simply because we need it to open hard, and fast to catch the car at the right time to pump it again and keep the hop going and gaining inches.... there is a night and day difference between a street and competition setup, which is why we offer street kits, and competition kits
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
I looked into this a couple years ago and I think you could get one to work. It would require the right gear and would be extremely slow (similar to a lift gate on 18 wheeler trailer). Ultimately, only a few vehicles have the engine space necessary to drive one of these pumps. In my opinion, the pure aesthetics of a set of pumps, dumps, and hardline are what make a well installed hydraulic install so appealing.

Also, regarding to the 'air craft' install, I think Mr. Smith Chassis nailed it. That stuff is expensive! Some people fake it with newer rockford pumpheads and hardline threaded directly into the intake ports then off to remote tanks. Adel or adex dumps and some faucet slowdowns. It'll look unique and impress most people, but it won't be a true vintage setup.
still_2_hi   +1y
ok i figured there was a reason i have always wondered that... now i can go back to sleeping well at night haha, thanks for the info.
98FRMED150   +1y
I understand the expensive part...rare hard to find parts..shit there's guys that's been restoring and building there setups for years...but just saying for the guys who blow 6-7 grand on billets...15-20 grand to stock floor brand new trucks...dumping as loads of mula on crazy paint jobs and interiors...just wondering if it's ever been done to a truck? I can see a shop like chassis by Arron doin something like this.

Shit let me win the lottery I'd do it lol
spider97   +1y
i agree with aon but why not build the set up to look like vintage stuff thats actually new? i think black magic sells the pumps most of these guys are spending top dollar because they want the car to have the look of a certain era. i wouldnt do it on a mini but a 60s chevy with some supremes and flake would look perfect with some pescos in the bed
mista337   +1y
--------------------------------------------

AON-4PumpedCL said:

In my opinion, the pure aesthetics of a set of pumps, dumps, and hardline are what make a well installed hydraulic install so appealing.

--------------------------------------------

:TUP:
slow50   +1y
my dad builds the old pesco pumps and full aircraft set ups be they always go into older cars