Page 1 of 2
Air Ride Suspensions \  Please help me fix this 4 link

Please help me fix this 4 link

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 1332
replies 10
following 8

kaoss   +1y
This is a truck that I was working on for a friend. He got a stripper pregnant and lost interest in the build. I was told to get it rolling, and that he wasn't going to buy any parts for it. I set up the 4 link with what I had left, and he put the truck up for sale for dirt cheap.

Guess who bought it?

My other good friend, so now I really need to fix this. Tell me what you think, and what needs to be done. The upper bars need to be moved up, and those link bar ends need to be level. The upper bars hit the frame when the truck is lifted. Let me know what you think!

So some ideas we have.

1. run some tubing from the frame to cross member, shorten and hang the bars from that. 2. Swap to a wish bone. Not sure if we can get the instant center correct and enough triangulation.
///RELAXED 720   +1y
im NO EXPERT by any means but it looks to me like the front upper bar mounts need to come up. The side looks make it appear the IC in right near the back of the cab, it should be somehwere near the bumper (if I remember correctly). Moving the front upper bar mounts up would help in clearly the frame also... Now I could be completely wrong also it has happened before lol .......
kaoss   +1y
You're right, just looking for ideas on how to do raise them up. Tabs aren't the answer any more. I'm thinking some miter cut 2x2 from the frame to the cross member.
draggindakota   +1y
Yeah, shorten the uppers and raise them to mount some tubing from the frame to the x-member. I think round tubing would flow better with the bridge work than 2x2 though.
crux131   +1y
Why not shorten the lower bars slightly, and move their mounting point down lower on the crossmember?
Then shift the upper mounts over to (around) the current mounting point of the lowers...maybe use some slightly taller tabs and then re-do the mounts for the upper bars at the axle?

Seems like redoing the whole thing, would be as simple as trying to only redo any one part( at least how it currently looks ).
cable   +1y
^^^agree,shorten the lowers bars and weld your tabs to the face of your 4 link crossmember,those upper bars need to be shortened also and mounted inside the frame rails.also you could move your bag mounts to the lower bars,and flip your bars around to meet in the center of your 4 link crossmember,but you will most likely need longer upper axle tabs to get your instant center out front near the bumper/grill area.or you could move your lower bars under or outside the frame rails(if theres enough room-looks to be)and shorten uppers and mount them where your lower bars are.just keep in mind your upper and lower bars position in relation to each other from a side view and make all your tabs accordinly to get that IC out front and you should be good to go.
cable   +1y
just keep your IC in mind when your mounting the tabs
post photo
post photo
kaoss   +1y
I like that idea the best, We have some extra tabs laying around, now I just need to find some square tubing that the inside diameter is the same as my 2x2 bars to sleave the lowers when I shorten them.
cable   +1y
just cut the bar end off and re-notch the tubing
slammedxonair   +1y
That last drawing is not bad, or you could do a wishbone off the driveshaft notch crossmember.