threads
Page 1 of 1
Hydraulic Suspensions \  Need Help ASAP... Had a small accident...

Need Help ASAP... Had a small accident...

Hydraulic Suspensions Q & A
views 511
replies 7
following 5

artsar   +1y
First of all I live in Northern Ontario and I drive my juiced car all year long rightly or wrongly so. Anyways I was driving home from the bar wednesday night (I was DD) and one of the plows left a chunk of ice in my lane. Well I hit it and smashed the bumper and then the ice hit the suspension. Now the cylinder leaks from the "top" or where the actual stroke is. Also it destroyed a LCA bushing so now when I push on the suspension it moves back about an inch and everything tweaks...

Now where I need the help, the internal shaft moves from side to side in the outer shaft now. Does that just mean I need new bushings or all new cylinders? (its just one side, but I may as well do both since the other one is a bit wonky too.

Also if it is just seals can I get them from any hydraulic store or do they specifically need to be Hydroholics ones (obviously O rings are O rings, but I figure there might be some sort of alteration)

Thanks. I need to get this solved ASAP as I was supposed to move home today to get ready for teaching on monday.
weave   +1y
I don't know that much about it but here is what I can say. I have had to repair leaky cylinders before and the only place I could get O rings for them were from a hydraulic specialty place. It's hard to say if it's damaged from the description. I would say if it's possible take both cylinders to one of those shops and they can tell you if it's shot and they can definately get you the O rings you need. It's worth a shot....
shavedmax   +1y
sounds like you may need a cylinder. it may not have been from hitting the ice, it may just be worn out. it could also be that the head of the cylinder is comming loose on the threads. if you're daily driving this thing you should have an extra set of cylinders, a spare hose, a spare dump and some solenoids in your trunk at all times.

try to rebuild the cylinder to get you home. swap out the cylinders and rebuild those to keep as your back up
AZ ARTWORX   +1y
easy bro if u have play,leaks, can see it bent....its bent....100% replace at least the one. car and ur life cost more than a cylinder...u can replace just the shaft but by the time i do all that work i could have been on the road already....bad seals only ceap most of the time u will see a large amount build up around ur suspension.... i believe hydroholics use the three seals (one square seal and two round) be sure to replace the scrapers and all when changing them out....u have to get these kits from them but ur local store may stock them...prohopper uses the same i believe but keep it real and buy from aaron if u can....
tre5   +1y
From your description I have no idea what is wrong with the cylinder. Hydroholics cylinders do you 2 o-rings and a poly pak seal. There are also different types of ploy pak seals, so in order to save confusion just order a set from Hydroholics if you think that is the problem. The set will come with new scrapers as well. Order a couple extra sets for next time. I don't know about carrying all that extra stuff in your car at all times, but since you are so far away, I think it would be a good idea to keep it in your garage for these types of issues.
shavedmax   +1y
--------------------------------------------

tre5 said:

From your description I have no idea what is wrong with the cylinder. Hydroholics cylinders do you 2 o-rings and a poly pak seal. There are also different types of ploy pak seals, so in order to save confusion just order a set from Hydroholics if you think that is the problem. The set will come with new scrapers as well. Order a couple extra sets for next time. I don't know about carrying all that extra stuff in your car at all times, but since you are so far away, I think it would be a good idea to keep it in your garage for these types of issues.

--------------------------------------------

it's not like i said to keep a spare pump in the trunk. i kept a front hose in my 1/4 panel well and a spare dump and solenoids in my car when it was my daily. it takes up no room that way and you never know where you could get stranded where something simple like swapping out a dump will save you(or a friend). i've had my share of situations, mostly my own errors, so it pays to be prepared.

jeremy, whatever happened to the rear cylinder mounts you guys had developed? i've been dieing to buy a set for the rear of my maxima but dont see them for sale on the site.
tre5   +1y
Contact Aaron@Hydroholics.net He has them in stock and ready to ship. They can be used in many applications, but they would work good in the rear of a maxima.
artsar   +1y
I ordered new orings to see if that will solve the problem. If not I will just get new cylinders later this summer. I don't think its that bad since I have put about 2000 kilometers on the car since this happened. I am leaking fluid, which makes me think its just the rings though. Its not so bad to leave me stranded. We will see how bad it is when I get the new rings installed.
Page 1 of 1