threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Trucks \  rear swap/ driveshaft question.

rear swap/ driveshaft question.

Mazda Trucks Make Specific
views 443
replies 8
following 4

stlowburban   +1y
So I'm bagging a 91 extended cab for a buddy on Tahoe wheels and we swapped to a 84 rear-end since it's narrower. When I got the rear-end I got the end off the 84 shaft as well but the 84 shaft is alot bigger in diameter than the 91's so I cant just get hte 84 end put in the 91 shaft. First thought was to make a plate with both patterns on it to go between the 91 shaft and the 84 snout, but (Finally, here's the damn question,) does anybody know if I can put the 91's snout on the 84 differential? Anybody done it? They both come off but are the splines the same? Thought I'd ask before I wasted an hour or so pulling them only for it not to work.
maz2low   +1y
I have not done this swap in a long-time but if I remember correctly the older snout is shorter then the newer style so in the end the driveshaft is just short. I believe when I did it that I took the newer driveshaft in and showed them older mount I needed on one end, they ended up using a mount from an older dodge that has exact pattern, but different U-joint to match newer style end. Cost was like $100 to do it.
driptruck   +1y
The Dodge joints are much easier to replace as well, good for bagged rides.
ga,mazduh   +1y
those kind of u joints are called bastard u joints, because they have 2 very different size end caps. i believe spicer will have u part number for wat u need
stlowburban   +1y
So your saying Spicer would have a joint that is 91 mazda on one axis and 84 mazda on the other? That would be killer.
ga,mazduh   +1y
yea i do believe so, i looked for the box that i had saved cuz it took me forever to find that u joint. let me chk in a few more places
stlowburban   +1y
I checked the spicer site as well as the two ends I have and the 91 shaft has pinned u-joints that spicer says are non-replaceable. I guess unless Eric has good news it's off to the drive shaft shop.
ga,mazduh   +1y
yea bro im still looking and it does say that it can not be changed but it can. dang i really wish i could find that dam box!! if i remember correctly i went to napa and they miced it out for me. sorry bro, but that u joint that they say can not be replaced, it can!!! but i guess all this is useless without sum sort of part num!!! damn it.......
stlowburban   +1y
Well i appreciate you looking man. I may try cross referencing it with some other manufacturers and see what I can come up with.
Page 1 of 1