Page 1 of 2
Mazda Trucks \  Front shocks

Front shocks

Mazda Trucks Make Specific
views 1186
replies 11
following 5

BSTCLOTHING   +1y
I have a 86 2000. Im going to install a front shock set up and im trying to get some ideas on how to put it together. It has a pretty basic front bag set up using 2500lb bags, stock upper and lowers, stock spindles, and stock ball joints. What kind of shocks would be suggested and does anyone of some pics. Thanks.
Grant Kustoms   +1y
well RCD has put together Bilstein shocks that not only have the length and stroke we need but the Valving to match most typical air bag set ups. As far as set up goes, if you have Cando arms or if you triangulate the LCA's your self, you can do something similar to what I did on my Nissan

give me a call, I can help you dial it all in
BSTCLOTHING   +1y
Im using the stock arms but that is basicly what i was thinking. Are those brackets custom or something you sell on your website? I talked to you in another part of the forum and i think im gonna go with your shocks.
sadisticiron   +1y
get in contact with bobby with the orange mazda i did. he lives in hesperia he will show you how i set his shocks up. i look for some pics when i get home from the shop
BSTCLOTHING   +1y
Right on thanks. I judged his truck at our show you think i would have noticed the shocks! LOL!!
driptruck   +1y
How do you determine the valving you need? I have the sameMazda setup as mentioned with shocks mounted the same as the pics. I read around and went with some shocks designed for a VW and I am not real impressed. They have been on for 5 or 6 years and I would like to try something better. I have read many different opinions on shock / bag setup I honestly am not sure what it is I am unhappy with. Is it the shocks or the bags "Firestone" that are the problem? I run 70-80 on my guages with 2500 bags. I would say this is the most "typical" minitruck front bag setup. Would a shock change make a big difference in ride or would different bags make the most improvement? It seems to me my truck is to light to have a good ride? I have a heavy car and it rides much better with basically the same setup. I also realize these trucks didn't ride nice from the factory so I guess I am shooting for a better than factory ride. Is this possible? and if it is in the valving of the shocks how do you know what valve package to order. I know AirRide Tech makes adjustable both in and out valving shocks, but if someone here has the formula to order shocks allready setup that would save some money.

So what are the bag type, shock type setups you swear by in a mini.
Grant Kustoms   +1y
Edited: 11/16/2010 10:30:54 AM by Grant Kustoms

Assuming you have the right bag mounted correctly, a better than factory ride is totally possible. As for adjustable, the way they adjust most "adjustable shocks is to simply restrict oil flow witch can just make the ride more harsh not really tailor the shock to your set up. The RCD Bilsteins have different valving for the up stroke verses the down. This gives you a nice ride while still controlling that "caddy float".

the problem with a Monroe or auto zone shock is there is no application chart that addresses valving or application that I know of, Just size. So if you wanted a specific valving, you would have to know a factory application that you could use on your truck that had a similar set up. That is why hardbody shocks have been a favorite. But with bigger wheels they just don't cut the mustard

there are a few factors but there are 3 basic things you need to consider. Vehicle size or weight, shock placement, and wheel size.

The Vehicle size doesn't matter as much as the the spring rate but since we are all using a relatively similar air spring, odds are the spring rate is increased along with the vehicle weight.

The shock placement is a tricky one. Say your shocks are mounted right on your rear axle, you could be vary close to a 1 to 1 ration but if they are laid back 60 or 70 deg you are no where near a 1 to 1 ratio. As for fronts, OE set ups typically have the shock moving a little more than 50% of the wheel but when we mount the shock real close to the frame rail the shock moves less then 50% of the spindle.

Finally wheel size more so then over all Dia. because the rolling weight. Bigger wheels need more valving.

Lucky for us Steve at RCD has broke it down into a few different shocks that should cover all the common mini and F/S truck set ups. I have them listed on the site by IFS mini and f/s, IRS mini and full size, and strait axle rear mini and full size. Now if you lay your rear shock back a ton, you may want to run the IRS shocks on a strait axle set up. Also if you are running a 22" chrome wheel on a mini, you want to run the F/S IFS shock.

Hope this helps
driptruck   +1y
Wow, thanks for your time! I will use your chart and order them up.
Grant Kustoms   +1y
any time! You are going to love these shocks and they are going to out last other shocks by 3 times
sadisticiron   +1y
i have switched to the bilsteins and they are so much better for cruising low. the valving responds very well to the rapid suspension travel that most aired trucks have. the bag you use is key to having a good ride as well. i will only use slams due to the non spongy feeling during travel unlike a firestone. the suspension rides so much better with the combo of slams and bilsteins.