Page 1 of 2
Audio/Video \  How to mold plastic interior pieces

How to mold plastic interior pieces

Audio/Video Q & A
views 1938
replies 14
following 14

AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
I have a plastic dash piece that has a double DIN opening that I want to make a little smaller to fit my deck properly. I'd like to cut the edges off the opening and space them in about 1/2". What is the best product to use for gluing it all back together and bodyworking it to be painted?

Thank you,Aaron
Uncle Fester   +1y
Depending how it looks you could either fiberglass it or use a panel bond. If you choose panel bond I got some left and the special gun that is needed. I am a novice at this so I am positive there are better ways to do what you want. Good luck.
IMLOWER   +1y
fester fiberglass doesnt stick to plastic itll seperate after a while best bet is panel bond or plastic weld
ahab   +1y
You should ask your own club members before you post it on SSM. Talk to pete. He has panel bond at work. Thats the best way to do it. Ive done it with fiberglass and it comes apart like Potter said. You could also glue the trim ring for your double din into the dash panel to make it nice and clean. Let me know if you dont have a trim piece I think I have a couple.
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
--------------------------------------------

ahab said:

You should ask your own club members before you post it on SSM. Talk to pete. He has panel bond at work. Thats the best way to do it. Ive done it with fiberglass and it comes apart like Potter said. You could also glue the trim ring for your double din into the dash panel to make it nice and clean. Let me know if you dont have a trim piece I think I have a couple.

--------------------------------------------

I actually bought an OEM center bezel from a Titan XE (double DIN) since it's supposed to be higher quality that the Scosche kit. It's still not as close of a fit as I'd like, so I'm going to modify it before I have it sprayed. Sounds like panel bond is the way to go!
ahab   +1y
Ive got a Best Kits kit for it if you want it. That way you could take your nissan one back.
stlowburban   +1y
There's some stuff you can get at boat places called TechBond. It'll stick anything to anything else. Comes in a quart with activator like bondo. Haven't used it for this specifically but I think it would work great. Anybody else used it?
Rob Clayhill   +1y
where can i get this panel bond stuff? ive been wanting to start a few of my own interior projects modifying the plastics and i knew fiberglass would seperate over time so ive been holding off.
bodydropped85   +1y
Edited: 5/30/2011 2:32:32 PM by bagged85

any paint supply store should have it. its 3m number is 8115. you dont have to have the gun if you push it out in equal amounts with a stick and use a acid brush/spreader to apply it. the packet comes with 2 tips. make sure you use some adhesion promotor and sand any shiny plastic with 80 grit. dry wall mesh works good as a reinforcement for it to. just make sure what your glueing doesnt move for 12 hours, thats the cure time on it. the tube says work time is 1 hr and "cure time" is 4 hours, but 12 hours you can do whatever you want with it. if you have access to a bake spray booth, put the part in there for 30 min and it will be cured ;)
Syk96Rngr   +1y
Lord fusor is what i used to put caddy buckets in my civic bumper. Works well and we beat the hell out of it wil a hammer and couldn't break it loose. It is recommended for bonding metal to plastic so id assume plastic to plastic would be just as strong.