Page 1 of 1
Build-Ups \  Double dose o' dually

Double dose o' dually

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 757
replies 6
following 3

broadband   +1y
So here't the backstory on my double dually build up. I bought a 93 crew cab 4x4 dually, 93 crew cab 2wd dually, and 2 94 suburbans for 3000 dollars. The duallys are very base models and the suburbans are loaded. The plan is to turn both dually's into fully loaded crew cab big block toys. The 4x4 is the first one since winter will be coming up soon. Plans for that one for this year are to ditch the duals and go to a single but keep it all 8 lug and slice it up for a short box conversion. 3 in body lift, crank the torsions and put studded 33's on it for ice fishing. Rims are gonna be nothing special...just a simple black rim to match the flat black paint. Just something to bomb around in and not worry about for this year. Then next year will be a 6bt and solid front axle swap.

The 2wd will be getting body dropped for sure. I have a picture in my head i am going to try and make happen. Might look into a renduring later. This truck will be getting a 6bt as well (since i already have both of them). A friend manages a tire and rim repair shop and they do semi rims on a daily basis so the plan is a set of 22's polished up. This truck will be black as well but i want it to look like a work truck when its aired up so it will have bumpers and tow hooks...plus a set of stacks because of the diesel swap...

Hopefully in the next few weeks there will be some updates on the 4x4 if my seasonal work is done soon.

These probably aren't gonna be too extreme compared to alot of rides i see on here but they should stand out none the less...if you know what you are looking at.

lowrthnu92   +1y
I like it, Do it Do it
weave   +1y
Thats awesome man, sounds like a hell of a bargan on those trucks. Keep us posted
broadband   +1y
Yah, i bought the trucks off of some guy that had 5 or 6 of them and a bunch of suburbans. He bought the duallies from an electrical company that had retired them. The duallies both had new motors (under 15) and the suburbans didn't have any. So i took 4 of them to make 2. I sold the suburban frames, diffs and transmissions already so i just have the shells. Gonna swap the doors straight across since they are power and the duallies have NO options. But since we are getting late in the season, i am gonna work on the 4x4 first. Hoping for the box swap, lift and flat black paint for this year. Then i have a descent snow and ice fishing truck and can work on the lincoln in the winter since the other dually is too big for my garage. Then when summer comes, hopefully have the other dually ready to drag and pull my lincoln around ;)...not that its gonna be a trailer queen. I just think it will look cool as a "package" going down the road.
broadband   +1y
Edited: 9/3/2010 6:55:14 PM by broadband

Well today I snuck out of work for about an hour and headed to the government salvage yard where I got a pretty mint black shortbox off on a 98. I am hoping to relocate my spring perchs this weekend and mount the box. Then its body lift time and off to Kelvins Tire and Wheel where it will be set up with tires and rims for this year.

And for anyone wondering, I am not a hillbilly working out in the gravel. I just happen to have the truck at work so I dropped off parts here too. The perks of owning your own company. I may shorten the frame at work though cause the wife probably wont let me work on it at home since she claims she never sees me with the long hours i work.
broadband   +1y
Well i got the shackle flip done and the diff moved ahead 14 inches for the short box. On monday i am taking the driveshaft in to get cut down and pulling the rims off and going to my new winter rims. You can't see in the pick but there is alot of rake on the truck due to the shackle flip. For the front for this year i am thinking about ditching the torsions and running a set of 04-09ish ford f150 coilovers. See if that will help lift it and soften the ride. Nothing worse than torsions cranked all the way up.

post photo
post photo
post photo
broadband   +1y
Edited: 9/25/2010 8:39:55 PM by broadband

Well i hit a milestone today. Got the truck all buttoned up and driveable. It still isn't done by a long shot but i am now able to drive it which put a smile on m face

There is 14 inches between the top of the rear wheel and the top of the fenderwell and 8 inches on the front. The torsions are cranked up so the solid axle swap may be coming sooner than though. I am quite happy with how it drives. I do plan on taking the 1 tons overload springs out and possibly dropping on spring from the regular pack. Will have to play it by ear and see how it looks and rides. More too come though cause winter is creeping up slowly haha
post photo
post photo
Page 1 of 1