Page 1 of 2
General Discussion \  Chopper Rebuild

Chopper Rebuild

General Discussion
views 1133
replies 10
following 6

distill   +1y
Well I built my first chopper from the ground up last and now since I have my feet wet I decided to go with a whole new make-over. This is it so far and lemme know what you think.

thread post photo

This is what it looked like the first time around.

thread post photo

Chopped the back half off and did a 2 post step down off the back bone and a 3" air cylinder with arnott compressor/valves setup.

thread post photo

Built a new swing arm and running a 13" wide fender. I'm am just covering half the wheel to still see the whole 300mm rear tire.

thread post photo

This is where I am at as of now. I need to finish up the welds and get ready to order my 23" 80 spoke front wheel. Even though I do not have air ride in the front, the set up that I did will lay full frame...no kickstand

thread post photo

The finished product of what it will look like but with spoke wheels.

thread post photo

And a picture of Shamu from our trip to Sea World. Hey everyone loves Shamu.
huskerdually   +1y
That is pretty sweet. I always thought I'd like to try to build one from scratch, doesn't take up as much room as a c/c dually. How did you know the dimensions for the frame and stuff, can you buy rough plans or blueprints?
distill   +1y
Lol, yea a whole lot less room than the cc. As of the frame I built a 8' frame table and laid out my marks just like you would on a truck. I took measurements off of stock harleys and off the motor to know where I wanted everything to line up.

As of now I am +5in back bone and -2in height. I made sure everything was level and true and built the whole thing with out a pipe bender just long bend 90's from McMaster Carr.
bhb   +1y
Nice. Oil tank under the trans?
ybnrmaldually   +1y
That chopper looks bad ass
distill   +1y
Thanks for the compliments.

I haven't yet decided on the oil maybe you guys can help. I have enough room to build one out of sheet metal under the cylinder or I was thinking of doing one right in front of the frame, maybe a copper vertical one?

I'll take anyones input...except campys lol.

Just playing Campy
bhb   +1y
Personally, since it's a dry sump oiling system, I'd rather have the oil gravity fed and flowing downward to the pump, rather than being sucked upward to the pump. Doesn't look like much room near the air cylinder though.
someotherguy   +1y
Was it intentional or just coincidence that you posted the pic of Shamu right after the one of the chassis laid out? Cuz it looks like Shamu, laid out on that platform waiting for a treat.

Pretty radical build, makes my old school bike look damn simple by comparison!

Richard
distill   +1y
Lol, that was totally coincident. My niece was here and she wanted the pic on there.

I am just getting started with learning the motors of harley davidson, but I love old school bobbers and knuckleheads just the same or more than this one.

After this one is done I am buying a sporty for my fiance and chopping it up with ape hangers, drop seat, 240mm tire, and etc. She wants off the crotch rocket and on to a bobber.I told her she will get more looks than I will lol.

Lets post pics of what everyone rides.
bhb   +1y

Hand built, by me in '04

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo