South West \  -=SOME LAW ANSWERS AZ MINITRUCKERS SHOULD READ=-

-=SOME LAW ANSWERS AZ MINITRUCKERS SHOULD READ=-

South West Regional
views 1995
replies 33
following 29

hitncry   +1y
Edited: 6/13/2010 5:45:05 AM by hitncry

I recently got pulled over and hassled about my license plate location and questioned about why I was driving so low. I didn't receive any tickets or written warnings or fix-it tickets, but it did make me wonder what the state laws are on a few issues that I hear minitruckers ask about quite often. So I did some research. The following are some of the key ones, but the entire statute list can be found at the following site: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/arizonarevisedstatutes.asp?title=28  THIS IS CURRENT LAW FOR 2010    28-2354. License plates; attachment; civil penalty A. A person shall display the license plate or plates as follows:

1. For a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer, on the rear.

2. For a vehicle for which two license plates are issued, the vehicle owner shall display either of the following:

(a) One plate on the rear.

(b) One plate on the front and one plate on the rear.

B. A person shall display all license plates as required by subsection A until their lawful use expires or is canceled or revoked. A person shall maintain each license plate so it is clearly legible. A person shall securely fasten each license plate to the vehicle as follows:

1. To prevent the plate from swinging.

2. At a height of at least twelve inches from the ground to the bottom of the plate.

3. In a position to be clearly visible.

C. A person shall maintain each license plate so that the name of this state at the top of the license plate is not obscured.

D. A peace officer shall not stop or issue a citation to a person operating a motor vehicle on a highway in this state for a violation of subsection C of this section unless the peace officer has reasonable cause to believe there is another alleged violation of a motor vehicle law of this state.

E. If a person violates subsection C of this section, the person is subject to a civil penalty of thirty dollars, except that if a person violates subsection C of this section within twelve months after the date of a prior violation of subsection C of this section, the person is subject to a civil penalty of one hundred dollars.

28-906. Mechanical raising and lowering devices

A person shall not raise or lower the height of a motor vehicle by mechanical means while the motor vehicle is moving on a highway at a speed in excess of fifteen miles per hour.

28-923. Visibility distance; mounted height of lamps

A. If a requirement is provided in this article as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible or within which the lamps or devices shall be visible, the provisions apply during the times stated in section 28-922 with respect to a vehicle without a load when on a straight, level and unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different time or condition is expressly provided.

B. If a requirement is provided in this article for the mounted height of lamps or devices it means from the center of the lamp or device to the level ground on which the vehicle stands when the vehicle is without a load.

28-925. Tail lamps

A. A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle that is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear. When lighted as required by this article, the tail lamp shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, except that in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

B. A tail lamp on a vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches to be measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B.

C. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed in a manner that illuminates with a white light the rear license plate and renders it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. A tail lamp or tail lamps together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear license plate shall be wired to provide that the tail lamp or lamps are lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

28-924. Motor vehicle head lamps

A. A motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. The head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.

B. A motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle and a motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps that comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.

C. A head lamp on a motor vehicle, including a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle and a motor driven cycle, shall be located at a height of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-two inches to be measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B.

28-926. New motor vehicles; reflectors

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a new motor vehicle sold and operated on a highway, other than a truck tractor, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, either:

1. Two red reflectors that comply with this section.

2. If it is a motorcycle or a motor driven cycle, at least one reflector that complies with this section.

B. A vehicle of the type provided in section 28-929 shall be equipped with reflectors as required in that section.

C. A reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than twenty inches nor more than sixty inches measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred feet to fifty feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that visibility from a greater distance is required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.  28-1094. Vehicle height; exceptions; special permits

A. Without a permit issued under section 28-1103 or this section, a vehicle unladen or with a load shall not exceed a height of thirteen feet six inches above the level surface on which the vehicle stands.

B. The department with respect to highways under its jurisdiction and a local authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction shall also designate a system of highways that a vehicle unladen or with a load not exceeding fourteen feet above the level surface on which a vehicle stands may operate without a permit prescribed in subsection C of this section. In designating the streets, the local authority shall consider any reasonable restriction including such safety restrictions as structural hazards, street width and any other safety factors identified by the local authority as a hazard to the motoring public.

C. Notwithstanding section 28-1103, the department with respect to highways under its jurisdiction and a local authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction, on application in writing and good cause shown, may issue a special permit in writing that is valid for one year and that authorizes the applicant to operate or move a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles on designated routes in this state if the laden height does not exceed fourteen feet. A fee of forty-five dollars is required for each motor vehicle covered by a permit issued pursuant to this subsection. Except as expressly provided in this subsection, the special permit is governed by sections 28-1103, 28-1104 and 28-1105.

D. Notwithstanding section 28-1103, the department with respect to highways under its jurisdiction and a local authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction, on application and good cause shown, may issue a permit pursuant to this chapter that authorizes the applicant to operate or move a motor vehicle on designated routes in this state if the laden height of the vehicle exceeds fourteen feet. A fee of fifteen dollars is required for each motor vehicle covered by a permit issued pursuant to this subsection. Except as expressly provided in this subsection, the single trip special permit is governed by sections 28-1103, 28-1104 and 28-1105.

ALSO: Blacked out or tinted headlamps or taillamps of any kind are a big fat no-no. Can't remember what section I saw that, but it is in there.    
hitncry   +1y
-Weekday Bump- Since I know site traffic is slower on the weekends.
cuddcountry   +1y

yeah thats good stuff now do one for texas  lol   
Uncle Fester   +1y

Thank you so much for this, I have always wondered.  I have my plate on the front of the bed and this says nothing about having to be at the rear most spot on the truck.  Doesn't sound like it is a requirement.
hitncry   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by Uncle FesterThank you so much for this, I have always wondered.  I have my plate on the front of the bed and this says nothing about having to be at the rear most spot on the truck.  Doesn't sound like it is a requirement.--------------------------------------------- Yeah I was talking with some people on Saturday night and they were mentioning how tow trucks have them in the back window. That was what really pushed me to go take a look for myself. It just has to be facing the rear, lighted and visible from 50ft away. Might bee cool to make this thread a sticky if you can too.  Glad to help the local minitruckers!
Uncle Fester   +1y

Stickied.  Find any more helpful pieces of info for AZ please feel free to add them here maybe make this a helpful thread for AZ mini truckers.

dailydraggn   +1y
sounds like the cop was more or less questioning why you were so low just from a safty stand point,saw plate in back window. ive never read anything about plate needing to be at the most rear part of vehicle. ive been pulled over for plate on roll pan riding low and was told the 12" rule. the other thing would be no light being in the window at night..
hitncry   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by dailydraggn ...the other thing would be no light being in the window at night.. --------------------------------------------- My plate is lighted even though it is in the window. My top 2 plate bolts have white L.E.D.s in them. Not sure if that's what you meant.
the grinch   +1y

Just got pulled over last night and the cop told me it has to be in the rear most part of your truck(vehicle) with a light. Its 3m double sided taped to the back of my window right now. He didn't give me a ticket just told me to get it fixed. Its probably the 5th time I have been pulled over for it in the last 3months.
bagdb2200   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by Uncle FesterThank you so much for this, I have always wondered.  I have my plate on the front of the bed and this says nothing about having to be at the rear most spot on the truck.  Doesn't sound like it is a requirement.--------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------Originally posted by hitncry  28-2354. License plates; attachment; civil penaltyA. A person shall display the license plate or plates as follows:

1. For a motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer or semitrailer, on the rear.

--------------------------------------------- The very first rule in the license plate section says it needs to be on the rear.  It doesn't say in the middle facing the rear.  So if an officer wants to take it as meaning the rearmost part of the vehicle they can probably write you a ticket it for it. On the other hand, it doesn't say it can't be in the middle facing the rear.  So you could probably use that argument to fight the ticket if you ever got one. Fester, I'm not directing this toward you directly, or anyone else.  I just quoted your post because you were talking about it.