Build-Ups \  The HHRSE build up...

The HHRSE build up...

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 1581
replies 20
following 14

LowNTexasEC   +1y
Edited: 4/14/2010 8:21:23 PM by LowNTexasEC

Let me start at the beginning of my project.  I had a 07 HHR LT that i drove for awhile and i kicked myself in the ass for not getting the Panel to start with.  So the day the 09s came out, i went and traded mine in for the black Panel.  The day it came home from the dealership, the stock grill was yanked out and a 2 pc billet was replaced.  The next day, the wheel/tire combo arrived and were bolted up.  After being backordered for a couple weeks, the Goldline lowering springs arrived and were thrown on the 2nd week of its ownership.  I had already done more in 2 weeks than most HHR owners do during the life of their car.  I thought about the route i wanted to go with the car.  I wanted it to be different and to turn heads.  It wasnt the typical vehicle you see at most shows.  The better reason to build it in my opinion.  I started working on the interior, bolted up an exhaust system, HID kit, LED tailights..etc.  I was already getting attention at the local bullshit shows and i received several comments from spectatos and my wife as well...that the car looked like a little hearse.  I pondered the idea for a hearse theme and it finally sunk in one day on the way home from work.  I had planned on fiberglassing a new sub enclosure that weekend and the whole hearse thing kept coming back to my brain.  "What If??? hmmm...i wonder"  Son as i got home i was drawing sketches out on paper in my garage and my wife finally came out and was like "ARE YOU OK???"  i was in serious deep thought. I finally finished my sketch and figuring dimensions.  I then showed her my epiphany.  It was a casket speaker box... she thought i had lost it i think... But as always, she thought it was cool and asked if i could pull it off...i figured there was only one way to find out.  So off to Lowes for MDF and materials and by the end of the weekend, i had my casket built.  My leather and suede came in the next week and i wrapped the leather on the casket, sueded my headlined and pillars and was one step closer.  I ordered real casket handles from a company in Canada and they finally arrived.  I then went off to Joanns Fabric for some satin to line the inside of the coffin with.  All of this was finally finished the night before Turkey Drag 08.  I headed out to Tyler and entered the show.  The casket was in the car and people were literally tripping over the concept.  I got more complements that weekend about the theme and i knew then, that i was headed in the right direction.  Winter came and i had more build time and i did more to the interior, added lots of blue LED lighting, wired up the amps, screens, head unit..etc...and the damn thing actually had some serious kick.  March rolled around and i took it to TexMex and once again had people coming up to me that were driving BD'd trucks and some of the sweetest rides around and they were commenting how sick my setup was and how original.  I actually felt proud hearing this from the competitors at the show.  So i decided then and there it was ready for the next step.  Airride.  I spoke with some of the shops that were there at TexMex.  As i said previously, most blew me off and the other shop from Houston (no names mentioned) told me to call and we could get it all set up.  Well after dozens of calls and leaving messages and never ONCE getting a callback, i gave up on the airride temporarily.  My friend Billy Thornhill from BNM Customz had been talking with me about my paint scheme.  We kicked it back and forth and come up with the mural and flames and hidden cemetary scenery throughout.  I was fully dedicated to this theme by now.  Once in Billys hands, the car was wetsanded and the the first bit of airbrushing started.  At first it was the reaper and lost souls mural on the hood that lead to the flames rolling off the fenders down to the front doors.  All was completed the day before it rolled to Scrapn The Coast in Biloxi.  People there had finally gotten  to see it since the new paint and once again, the compliments were flowing like water.  After the return trip home, the HHR now dubbed the HHRSE, went back to Billy for some more paint.  The flames were extended to the taillights and more creatures were airbrushed into the flames.  All this was done just in time for East Texas Blast Off and Pandemonium.  I was floored at both shows when i not only won 1st, but won best paint at both shows.  Once back home, the HHRSE went back to Billy for a 3rd round of paint which included some 3dimensional pieces and a dedication on the rear to one of our club brothers who tragically left us that year, and some paint work under the hood.  I had also taken my seats and my material to Bills Upholstery in Arlington to have my seats stitched up in the same matching black leather as the coffin and suede inserts to match the rest of the interior.  This was all done just in time for Texas Heat Wave and i made the trip to Austin.  People were amazed at how the car changed at every show thoughout the year.  I wasnt happy when they stuck me in Mini SUV wild because i knew i was i with all the BD'd blazers and such.  At awards time i ended up getting 1st again which still baffles me to this day.  I talked to different shops and vendors at THW still about bagginf the HHRSE and got the usual run around.  I spent the rest of the summer and show season doing little stuff here and there.  I finally ran across an old acquaintence, Jim Bayne from Killer Ridez in Seagoville Texas.  I told him about my predicament with the airride and noone seeming like they wanted to mess with it.  Jim and I brainstormed some and he decided he could take care of my needs.  I had no issues with letting him cut my baby up as KR's has turned out tons of feature quality vehicles over the years.  We finally were able to get it into the shop in February of this year and its been undergoing its new makeover there.  Killer Ridez is doing one hell of a good job.  The front strut towers have all been raised and rebuilt to set the HHRSE on the ground.  They were able to come up with a full custom 2 link set up for the rear.  The car has pretty much what most people call a "unibody body drop".  Viair compressors, AirRide Technologies digital controller.  It will be rolling out of Killer Ridez this week sometime, only to be going back to BNM Customz for more paint work.  If all goes as scheduled, they HHRSE will make its new debut at Showfest in Tunica, MS this year.  There are several pics on my profile of the various stages of the cars life since i started it.  I will be posting more on here soon. 
In the midst of my buildup over the past 18 months, another HHR owner, "GARAGEBUILT", on here has been going thru all the same hardship as i have, realizing anything you want to do on an HHR, damn near is all fully custom.  I will give props to him for getting his out first, but at least we will finally have some competition out there. 
Stay tuned for more soon...

societyoutkast   +1y

thats sik bro u got any interior shots ??
relaxednoma   +1y
awesome write-up, awesome HHR!
Ray_Ray   +1y

Those pics don't do your car any justice, Shey. Looking good, Bro.
ybnrmaldually   +1y
It's looking good can't wait to see it in person
garagebuilt   +1y

looks like they did a good job. i would like to see the driverside strut tower. it was a pain with the ac lines.

lowazzmaz   +1y

been a long time Shey I was wondering if you were still in the game. I used to be in EC memphis back in the day hope to see you at showfest. Ride looks sic...
pugz   +1y

LOOKS GREAT SHEY.  I KNEW IT WAS GETTING LAYED OUT EVEN THOUGH CYNTHIA WOULDNT TELL ME FOR SURE. LOL. 
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y
OMFG... More paint!!!  Looks awesome man. I met you at STC last year.  Hung out with you and the EC guys.  It looked absolutely awesome then can only imagine now. 
artsar   +1y

very cool. Got any pics of it out of the garage? This makes me want to cut back into my ion and I just got it back on the road.