Page 2 of 2
Car Care \  Need tips on compounding and buffing my truck

Need tips on compounding and buffing my truck

Car Care Q & A
views 2314
replies 12
following 10

mazb2lo   +1y

The best results to get if you have never done buffing is let someone with knowledge do it or let them show you how to. You can ruin it even with the shape that it is in right now, i own a mobile detailing company i have been detailing for 17 years and i have seen many burnt paint jobs. If you have any questions let me know.
DOWNHERE   +1y

Thanks man... Actually I was trying to find this post to send updates!  I went to a detail shop and had them do the work... I couldnt beleive it was my truck!  I actually had to break out the california duster to start dusting it off.  Then i went to LOATP in Tennessee and used the car wash there... apparently the knob was messed up and I soaped my truck with rim cleaner instead of soap.  My car looked horrible... Me and a friend was up till 2 am hand buffing it at the hotel for the show the next morning.  It came out ok... gotta take it back to the detailer to see what they can do.
pdolgner   +1y
45 degrees for cutting, 20 for finishing and flat for polishing.  If your going to get into it get a medium cutting pad and a finishing pad.  I prefer the Meguirs red medium pad.  I like Final finish and tri cut II.  You have to pick them up at a paint supply shop.  Always tilt the leading edge of your buffing pad up and have the edge making contact with the paint trailing.  The nice thing about old paint is if you are learning and you screw it up, well you screwed up old paint. Also apply your product to the pad and not to the paint.  Some compounds start working on the paint as soon as they are put on and can mark the paint if left on.