Build-Ups \  1958 GMC build

1958 GMC build

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 1197
replies 28
following 15

sfertig   +1y
Edited: 10/7/2010 11:50:00 AM by sfertig

I have been a longtime reader/follower of StreetSource, but have never contributed due to the lack of actual knowledge I have for installing airbags or shaving door handles. I do admire the work it takes to create a fully custom vehicle and there are some very talented people on here.

I have seen so many great things happen because of this site - how caring people have been, I thought I would put my request out. I really don
sfertig   +1y
Found out yesterday from the doctors that they are no longer calling his treatment a "cure" but rather a "control". He goes to the U of M on monday and tuesday he will start chemo. Yesterday was my mom's 50th birthday too. It had to be the worst.

If anyone in Minnesota, or anywhere for that matter, knows of someone or someplace I could ask for help I could really use it now.

My avatar is an image of the truck. I posted more as an owner profile but waiting for it to be approved.

If anyone cares to check out his caringbridge site you can get to it at this link. www.caringbridge.org/visit/sheldon
fknlowjeep   +1y

I cannot help but wanted to wish you and your family the best of luck, and will pray for your Dad's recovery.
BK2LIFE   +1y
would love to lend a hand, but im in az.   hope all the best for yours
sfertig   +1y
Josh, Thanks for the kind words and prayers. My family needs this kind of support right now - even if it is from someone I have never met. I really, really appreciate it!
sfertig   +1y
James, thanks for the support also. I knew I was asking a lot and I appreciate anything I can get, even the thoughts.
DragginHT   +1y

Shane I am deeply saddened to read this thread because I know how much my dad means to me  and I can't imagine what this would be like. Unfortunately I live in charlotte N.C but this family of custom car and truck builders is very large and maybeyou can find someone  near you to help, If you find a shop that is willing to help I would be willing to help fab any kinda part or exct. I wish you the best t on your quest and the health of your father, me and I'm sure the rest of this big family will have you in our prayers!
mjavy7   +1y

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Hopefully he can recover and drive the truck for many years.
relaxednoma   +1y
You all are certainly in our thoughts and prayers.  A few questions that may help some of the folks that would be nearby that can lend a hand are, what is needed to be done, what parts/materials are needed, whats the overall vision of the truck? From the picture it looks like it's pretty solid? Maybe if the overall vision or goal of the truck is known, one of the kind folks on here who does renderings could whip something up. There's a helluva lotta talent on here in that respect as well as several others.
sfertig   +1y
Thanks again to everyone for the prayers.

To answer Scotty's questions:

The truck is pretty solid. My dad has done the body work and paint on the cab. The box is rusty but I still think it is in good shape.

The engine currently is not running but has in the past - I believe it just needs some TLC and should be going again.

The interior is partially completed but I am not sure if all the wiring is has been done.

He wanted it pretty clean with most things left stock or close to. Shaving the handles or adding bags wasn't in his plans but I am sure he would love a lowered look. He always said he wanted to just get it done to drive, nothing fancy, just driveable.

He mentioned once he had rims but I am not sure they will bolt right up. They are stocks off a 90's era chevy or gmc. He may need to find some other ones that will work without modification.

We dont have much money to pay for parts as medical bills have been outrageous - thank God my parents have insurance.