Page 1 of 2
Interior \  Push button starter

Push button starter

Interior Q & A
views 1163
replies 16
following 5

scotto79   +1y
I wanted to run a push button starter with a hidden kill switch instead of using a key on my truck.  Would I have to wire in a separate toggle switch for the ignition as well as the starter button? So would I be looking for this to use?http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow/show_item.asp?product_id=2987F
Bagd_Civic93   +1y
Yes you will have to wire it so that the power is on to the ignition because when you wire push button up you can still turn turn it over it just wont start.
tukn22   +1y
Edited: 11/28/2009 5:40:41 PM by tukn22inch

wire one switch for the start button and the ignition, flip the switch, and press the start button. bam when you want to turn the truck off just flip the switch off. then for added security you can have a hidden kill switch down line for the switch/button. yes thats what you would want to buy or build  kinda ugly but i have the same one, just painted to match. I've been thinking of buying a push button switch from a high end cardamn that got me to thinking! A high end car doesn't have a "switch" at all! you get in with the key in your pocket, press the brake pedal and  then press the start button/"switch"button.  if you try to start it without pressing the brake peddle, the cars ignition turns on (radio, navigation, windows) WORD!  
post photo
boooghar   +1y

a buddy of mine and myself did a set up like that years ago (and by years i mean over a decade) where we gutted the entire column moved the key switch to the dash and had a start button right next to that, Its a very basic setup, companies like LONGACRE make everything you would need to do something like and SPEEDWAY Motors sells it all
scotto79   +1y
So how would I keep the memory on the stereo and the digital gauges on with a battery kill switch though?Wouldn't the kill switch erase those every time I shut the truck off?
Bagd_Civic93   +1y
It wouldnt be a battery kill swith you would just wire it to the power and ground on the ignition so that when you flipped the switch it would be like the key is turned on then just hit the push button to crank it up. I know because I did it on my hardbody and my eclipse.
scotto79   +1y
I also wanted to put a battery kill in somewhere just for security reasons, thats all.  I don't want to make it too easy for someone to get away with just a push of a button.
Bagd_Civic93   +1y
No i think your missing what im saying. If you hide the flip switch that is wired to the ignition and it is off and someone decided to steal your truck all it would do is turn over but you would have no power to the fuel pump or and electronic stuff to help it start. Battery kill sitch is bullshit you lose radio memory,clock and hell if you have an alarm that son of bitch will go off everytime you flip the battery power switch.
boooghar   +1y

all you hafta do is run a constant power to those components like alarm and radio

Bagd_Civic93   +1y
It would have to come directly off the battery and then you have more wires and shit running. If he just puts a flip switch on the ignition wires he can keep the electronics from work causing truck not to start. Not really sure unless the truck doesnt have a key why anyone would wanna rig it like this tho.